Chapter 8: Fires That Never Did Blaze

The fires climbed out ever closer.

I ran faster. As fast as my bare feet could move beneath the tribulations of still trickling leaves and sharp brittle pebbles and crisp stones that caressed my feet like a dagger amongst my flightless aching feet.

Although still raining in paces. The ever approaching blaze consumed my brains capable capacity.

She laid on my back, her soft arms wrapped around my shoulder, still healing but incapacitated she clenched onto me.

Around me stood dual paths, for should I move with haste and nobly construction a pattern or should I morn the concern of the methods I might take.

I shifted right, still pacing myself, light jogs and brisk walking.

There stood the shelter.
The single largest truck and tree within the once green forest.
I smiled, her blonde hair still grafting against my shoulders and slightly in my eye sight.

I slide Inside the tree truck.
Laying her down inside softly.
Praying that someone would know a escape.
A way out.
Pleasant demise might be ideal as of now.
But only a slight option in the midst of this dilemma.

For she had been repeating "I love you" for hours.
There should be a shaman either slain under the masterpiece of stoked flame.

But if were not to find one soon..my love..and my love for her..may perish.
For tomorrow, I will leave her here.
To go hunting, for shelter and a perhaps a specs of protein.
Sweat still drenching her, a fever had caught up with her.
Having to exchange sticks within the stint of her legs broken bones and infected flesh has been a ever tedious ordeal.

I had imagined love as such but not as insightful as a friend or a reality of a caregiver.

I rested my eyes. The fire still around us.
Shrouding the feelings and igniting a fuel in me that would shatter my process but emerging me in a metamorphosis.

I slept. Tomorrow was important.
Tomorrow was essential.
Tomorrow was inevitable.