14

ᴘᴀʀɪs ɪs ʙᴜʀɴɪɴɢ

It's the first day back at Chilton since winter break and Juliana is everything but excited.

The last time she saw or spoke to her friends was at the winter formal, except Madeline and Louise. The three girls went to the mall twice, for dinner four times and brunch three times, and she's spoken to Theo once or twice, but he's been busy with Aubrey, who he's officially dating. But Tristin, Juliana and Tristin haven't talked, which is rare for the duo, before this they haven't gone more than two days without speaking. Juliana could feel the void where Tristin should be.

"Juliana you're going to be late!" Christopher shouted to his daughter, who unwillingly dragged herself downstairs, "You love school what's wrong?"

"I only love school because I'm good at it," she mumbled sitting at the stool in front of the stove shoving her head into her crossed arms laying on the counter.

"No you love school because you're going to see all your friends," Christopher tried to explain, not knowing the situation his daughter is in. Her not wanting to ruin the usually happy mood they're both in.

"That's the problem," she wined pushing her head deeper into her arms, if that was possible, "Tristin and I aren't talking."

Christopher looked at her shocked knowing this had to be bad, he knew that the two can barely function without each other, relying on their other half for basically everything, "Just talk to him, you'll figure it out. You're both smart kids."

"I gotta go, love you," she said kissing his cheek and grabbing her dad's car keys.

"Don't total it!"

- - - - - - - - - -

Juliana is a little under halfway through the day and still hasn't seen Tristin, as much as she thinks she doesn't want to see him, part of her needed him. Needed to be in his presence and warmth again, knowing she's her best with him.

"'There's a certain slant of light, winter afternoons that oppresses like the heft of cathedral tunes.' That, my friends, is the first verse of a poem by Emily Dickenson. Now read some of those tonight, and as you do, consider the fact that Emily Dickenson writes convincingly about passion and about the world in spite of the fact that she lived as a virtual recluse. It'll help you appreciate her mind," Mr. Medina lectured getting cut off by the bell ringing.

"I could listen to him talk about passion all day. Do you think he's dating anyone?" Madeline asked watching him.

"Of course he is," Louise responded.

"A teacher?" Madeline asked.

Louise looked at her to check if she was serious, "Please."

"Why not?" Madeline asked staring at her friend, who always has to spell out everything for her.

"Have you seen teachers?" Louise asked turning back and shoving her books into her bag.

"He's a teacher," Madeline said obviously.

"Male teachers are different. They can still be mysterious," Louise explained.

Juliana noticed a weird expression on Rory's face but decided to ignore it, trying to figure out a solution to the bigger problem.