»𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 - 21«

Start from the beginning

"Then?"

"I'm sorry but you all should be prepared for the worst."
The doctor said truthfully not wanting to give them false hopes.

"Can-can I see-see him?"
Azeen asked with tears in her eyes.

"Yes."
The doctor said before excusing himself.

Imraan followed the doctor whereas Azeen went into the room followed by Fawad.

"Baba…"
Azeen tearfully whispered while looking at her unconscious father who was lying on the bed.
"I'm sorry… so sorry. I… didn't mean to… Please… please forgive me. Don't… leave me. Don't… leave me like… like mama. Please. I swear … I'll be… a good daughter. Just don't… leave me. Don't disappear from my life. Please… I love you. Please be alright… please."
Azeen sat on the ground while crying hastily.

For Fawad it was painful. Painful to helplessly standing and watching her break down like this. All he could do was embrace her and let the torrent of her tears soak through his shirt, rubbing her back in an attempt to calm her.

●○●

After talking with the doctor, Imraan was about to go in the room but halted seeing Azeen, who was sobbing tightly clutching her husband's shirt whereas Fawad was gently stroking her back trying to calm her.

As he stared at the couple with his longing eyes, he couldn't help but feel hopeless, empty and sad. 

Life seemed so unfair. 

He felt jealous of them. Of him. He shouldn't be feeling like this. Not now when his uncle was fighting for his life. He should only think of his uncle, not someone else. 

When Imraan was busy debating with himself, the receptionist came to him.
"Sir, the payment."

"Oh. Yeah. You go. I'm coming."
Nodding, the receptionist went away. Last time glancing at Azeen and Fawad, Imraan also went away. 

Once Azeen stopped sobbing, Fawad said softly while clearing her tears.
"You haven't eaten anything since morning. Let's go and eat something then-"

"I'm not hungry."
Without looking away from her father, she said.

"You didn't even drink water-"

"Don't force. Please. I really am not hungry."
Cutting him off, she said tiredly.

"Do you want to get sick? You need to be healthy to take care of your father. I'll go and buy something light for you to eat."
Before Azeen could deny, Fawad added.
"And you'll have to eat it!"

Without waiting for her, Fawad was about to go when she held his arm making him look back.
"Just… come back quickly."

"I will."
Passing her a small smile, he went away.

●○●

Azeen was sitting on the chair next to her father's bed, sadly looking at her father, replaying the last conversation she had with him when she felt a sudden harsh pull and then…

THUD!

"You ungrateful wretch!!"

Azeen touched her now red cheek where she was slapped.
"Chachi(aunt)…"

"Don't! Don't you dare call me Chachi!"
Mrs. Sherebano Quraish furiously said.
"Are you happy? Huh? Are you happy seeing your father on the hospital bed?"