I stared at her as if she were a ghost, part of me questioning if she was. She stopped trying to talk to me a few weeks ago, no phone calls, no messages, she didn't even try to speak to me in person. I'd get an occasional wave when passing in the halls and that was it. I'd asked her to stop messaging me but I never thought she actually would, I was hoping she wouldn't.

She looked better now, she'd gotten extensions and now her hair fell about mid-back. Her skin looked healthier too and I noticed she'd been carrying one of those water bottles around with the timestamps on them that tell you how much you need to have finished by what time. Even her eyes seemed brighter; she was absolutely gorgeous.

She smiled, the gesture tugging at my heart. I hadn't seen that smile in a month. "Hi," I greeted, nearly stuttering over the single word.

"Hi." She paused, waiting, seeing what my response would be.

I couldn't help but see the disappointment on her face at my answer. "What are you doing here?"

She rocked back and forth on her toes, her hands clasped in front of her. "I came to see you." She gave me a sheepish look. "Alexia told me where you were."

Of course my sister did. I nodded, waiting for her to continue, fairly certain I was hallucinating her.

"Can I talk to you?" She asked calmly, struggling to look me in the eyes but trying her best to.

I stared at her. Another sharp pain shot through my leg as Mateo jabbed me, letting me know that his headphones were, in fact, playing nothing and he'd been eavesdropping on this entire conversation. I expected nothing less. I glanced back at Beatrice, who had begun to fiddle with the book in her hand, a strand of hair falling in front of her face. Her sun dress flowed like beach waves as she swayed from side to side, waiting for my response. My goodness, she's beautiful.

"Sure." I slowly stood from my seat, watching her eyes light up as she registered my response. I followed her out the door, not missing the not so subtle wink I got from Mateo.

Beatrice paced a small oval in the cafe parking lot as she tried to figure out a way to start the conversation.

"I'm an idiot," was her starting line. "I'm an idiot, and I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry, Ryder. What I did to you wasn't okay and you have every right in the world to hate me."

I could never hate her, no matter how much I wanted to.

She took a deep breath, trying to calm her building emotions. "I'm impulsive and reckless and I wasn't thinking. I was angry and upset and I know that isn't an excuse but it was my reasoning. I wish I hadn't done it but I did and I will forever regret it. I never wanted to hurt you."

But you did.

She sensed my hesitation, a small frown over taking her features but she managed to stay calm, despite the fact that she was struggling against her tears. She tried to fight the desperation in her voice. "I'm sorry. I'm messed up, and horrible and broken and I don't deserve you, but I love you, Ryder. I'm in love with you. And if you give me one more chance, I won't mess it up. I swear. I'm gonna be a better person. I'll be the kinda girl you deserve, Ryder. Please. I just need one more chance."

I stilled at her words, barely even able to listen to the rest of her statement, hung up on her first few words. She's in love with me? She loves me? Me, Ryder Adams, the guy who is scared of ducks and hates hot pockets and has to spell out Wednesday as wed-nes-day, she's in love with me? "I—" I started but she cut me off.

"You don't have to answer me now, just think about it, okay? Please?"

I couldn't move, too stunned and too afraid she'd be gone if I did, but I managed to stretch out a nod.