Chapter 40: Stranger Plays Cupid

Start from the beginning

When she finally got to the entrance of the building it was pretty crowded with so many people coming out and going in. There was a good chance she might not run into Miher but why was that prospect making her sad? It was a safe thing, right? But, he had been MIA for so long and it wasn't like him. Had he given up? He had confessed his love out loud, was he chickening out now?

Good, God! 

" Excuse me, miss. Are you planning to go in?" A nurse stopped her train of thoughts to a halt by pulling the emergency chain.

" Yes. I have to go in. Sorry." She moved inside. Also, it was lunch hour, or Aavya thought it was so she might not see him at all.

At the reception, she was greeted by a lady in her mid-fifties. 

" Hi! How can I help you?"

" Hi! I'm here to collect Aman Raichand's reports. I got a call to collect them personally. I'm his sister." 

" Hmm, Yes...," she replied looking at her computer," Aman Raichand. Got it. You'll have to go to the second floor, Radiology to collect them. Ask for Dr. Jeff's assistant. "

" Okay. Thank you." Well, 2nd floor. Miher usually works on the 5th or the 6th floor so there is a zero chance of them bumping into each other, not that she thought there was one. Even if there was now its zilch.

Shit! She supposed she was getting crazy. Perhaps it was a bad idea, after all, to come here. She should just get the deed done and leave. It was the healthiest thing to do right now. When she reached the 2nd floor it was deserted. The far end of the corridor was where the Radiology lab was situated. There was no one behind the desk. Perhaps, they had gone for lunch. The left side of the lobby glided with huge windows allowing the afternoon sunlight to make its way. The breeze was warm and she wanted to go back as soon as possible. She ambled towards the desk hoping to find something, someone. 

But, then she heard some soft laughs. They sounded more like a triumph of someone over something. These joyous laughs were followed by a round of claps. Aavya had to have a peep at the show. She walked towards the windows and looked in the quadrangle. It wasn't filled with a lot of people but at the end of the distant right side she saw a figure struggling to walk, not struggling exactly, trying to walk and the person was making pretty appreciative progress. But, just when the person was about to trip a doctor came in to hold them. Aavya didn't have a clear view of discerning who was who.

" Hi! How can I help you?" Aavya turned to find a man smiling at her. He was in his uniform so he had to be the said assistant.

" Yes, I needed Aman Raichand's reports. The receptionist mentioned Dr. Jeffs." She replied. 

" Oh! Yes. I've been waiting for someone to collect them. I was expecting Aman sir himself as he specifically warned that the reports need his and Dr. Jeffs' eyes only.  You are?"

" Strange request. I'm Aavya, his sister. He is outstation and since it was urgent I came." Again a set of laughs was heard and Aavya involuntarily peeped out again, a smile forming on her face.

The assistant handed over a set of files to Aavya while her attention was still captured by that little ordeal happening on the ground. It was inspiring to see how a person can have so much courage to incessantly work and not give up.

" Looks like you're amazed too," the assistant added and Aavya looked at him.

" Uh?" She looked confused so he took the initiative to explain further. She still wasn't aware of his name but then his name tag cleared her doubt. 

" That is Riya. She has been with us for more than 2 months now. And her progress is worth following. She has worked so hard but then she credits Dr. Miher Goel too much for her success."