Wet Hot American Bummer Part 3

"Oh, hey. I made an additional list of suspects I want to question-" Sara cut me off and sat next to me.

"Cat-"

"Look, I know that you just want them to have fun, all right. But the matter of the fact is, there is a monster out there hunting down these kids, and these girls are stonewalling us, okay?"

"Counselor Cat?" A camper came up to me.

"Yes?"

"I'm ready to tell you what's going on."

"Go on honey. Spill the beans." I told the young blonde.

"It won't stop unless you do something."

"What won't stop?" Sara asked her.

"The monster that lives under the dock- the lake beast."

"Who's the lake beast?" I asked her.

"Years ago, at this very camp, some mean kids played a prank on this boy, and he drowned in the lake. And now every year he returns to get his revenge."

"And so you think the lake beast took your friends?"

She nodded and her breath got shaky. "They say the only way to make him appear is to go to the dock alone and call his name three times." I got out of my seat and rubbed her shoulder.

"Sweetie, you are so brave, and I promise you, the lake beast won't be getting anyone tonight, okay?" She nodded and walked away.

XXX

"They must've snuck out with each other and never made it back." Sara said as she and Ray approached Constantine and I. After last night's incident, two more kids went missing.

"Yeah, well, I don't know about you lot, but I'm not just sitting around here waiting for the monster to go get another kid." Constantine said frustrated.

"We better split up." I suggested.

"All right, you two check the woods for missing kids, Cat and I, we'll stay watch here."

"Hey wait! Buddy system!" Ray called after John who had already taken off.

"I heard about last night. It's majorly uncool." Chad said as he approached Sara and I.

"Who knew kids could be so mean?" I asked. "They've been calling me lake beast behind my back all day."

A camper came up to us. "Excuse me, lake beast." She walked away.

"And to my face." I revised my previous statement.

"Okay, hey, that's enough ladies." Chad walked over to them. "The joke is over. It's time for you to behave, or else your cabin will be banned from the July Jamboree." He threatened. He turned back to us and winked quite dramatically. Sara turned to face me.

"The only way we're going to get any information from these girls is to infiltrate their clique."

"How are we supposed to do that?" I asked her. "We're not kids."

"Funny you should say that. Constantine gave me a potion that would turn us into kids only temporarily."

I squinted my eyes. John told me he wasn't even sure if that potion worked. "You're kidding right? Last time I talked to John about it, he told me he wasn't even sure if it would work. And, even if it did, I'd never know how to act like a kid. Because instead of pinkie swears and summer camps, my childhood was filled with training camps and machine guns." I reminded her before walking away.

XXX

"Friendship bracelet?" Sara asked me.

"No, it's an 'I'm sorry' bracelet." I corrected her and held out the bracelet. "I shouldn't have run off like that. It's just that, you know I'm not normal, and I think you hit a nerve or something."

"No, I'm sorry." She sat down next to me. "I never even thought about the fact that you've never had a childhood."

"Yeah."

"But this is really good." She complimented the bracelet.

"Ugh, I confiscated it from Alexis." I admitted. "See, I'm weird. I-" I stopped myself. I couldn't let Sara know about my death. It was inevitable, but she couldn't know. She would try to save me. Luckily, Ray on comms saved me.

"Guys, I think we've ID'd our monster. Constantine and I found a skin suit shed by something called a shtriga."

"Come again?"

Constantine turned on his comms. "A shtriga. It's a vampiric witch. Feeds off the life force of children. Bloody brilliant setting up shop at summer camp."

"Ah, there's some good news. Sort of. Uh, it says here the shtriga feeds slowly off of prey draining it's life energy over a course of days, which means the missing kids could still be alive." Ray said.

"Then it's on you guys to find them." Sara told them. "Okay, and it's on us to protect these girls. Now, I know you think I'm crazy," She pulled out a small vial from her back pocket. "But what if the best way to protect them is by becoming one of them and lure the creature out?" She set it down on the table. "We'll be the bait. And if it does work, I'll be with you every step of the way. Show you the ropes. Teach you how to be a kid."

"Pinkie swear?" I held out my pinkie and she eagerly shook it.

XXX

"Do you feel anything yet?" Sara asked me. We had taken Constantine's potion, but so far nothing was happening yet.

"Mm... no. Maybe it doesn't work." As if on cue, we were surrounded by sparkly lights.

"The pretty lights tell me otherwise." Something happened and we were shrunk down to kids just before Chad opened the shed door.

"Hey, what are you two doing in here?" He asked us.

"Oh snap." Sara said.