Kate looked just as radiant, in a rich red gown, which set off her white skin, and dark hair. Her eyes sparkled happily, as she and Alex greeted guests, and chatted with friends, many of whom already knew of their betrothal.

Katie's dress:

There was a break in the arrival of guests, and Meredith took a moment to wonder if her father was arriving soon

There was a break in the arrival of guests, and Meredith took a moment to wonder if her father was arriving soon. Her father, she mused, how strange to think of that term now. He had been to visit with her two days ago, letting her know that he was more than willing to announce that she was his daughter.

"You look so very much like Ella..." he murmured, taking her hands in his strong grasp. "It is like going back in time. I regret so many things about that..."

"So, may I ask why you couldn't come forth and say anything sooner?" Meredith asked, still unsure of what to say, what to think.

"I was foolish, my dear," he sighed, shaking his head. "Ella was so sweet, and I loved her so, but I let my father pressure me into marriage with another. I didn't possess the fortitude that your husband has by marrying you, despite what anyone else may have thought of the match. And that includes his mother, from what I hear. And Eleanor is a formidable woman..."

"Indeed, she is," Meredith agreed, smiling a little, glancing at Derek seated beside her.

"I am old man now, and I have no patience any longer for those not willing to accept the truth. I want you to have your rightful place in the world. I know it is likely too late to make amends, but I do hope that you are willing to let me be part of your life," Lord John stated.

Meredith felt the quick sting of tears at his words. "I wish my mother was alive to hear you say that. She always led me to believe you were dead..."

"I suppose to her, I was," Lord John said sadly. "But my wife is now deceased as well, and my two other daughters...well...one is in the nunnery, and the other is determined to remain a spinster. Leaving me no heirs to my title, and lands. I would like to make sure that you and your son inherit what should be yours. I will be in touch with my barrister to make the arrangements. I just wanted to let you know beforehand..."

Meredith shook her head to bring her back to the present. He was a kind man, and she wanted to believe he was willing to make things right now. She just didn't know if she needed anything from him; so long as she had Derek's love, she was happy.

Derek caught her eye again, seeing the pensive look there, and he took her hand. "Are you all right, my love?" His voice was soft, as he leaned in closer to her, placing a kiss on her temple.

"Yes, of course, just thinking of my father..."

"He won't miss the festivities, I'm sure," Derek assured her, pulling her close and stealing a quick kiss on her lips. "Now, have I told you how ravishing you look this evening in that dress...?"