C H A P T E R 7

BIRD

The boys helped both of the girls getting out of the tomb and they handed them the envelop. They all smiled as they looked at it and looked back at the girls.

"You're amazing, you know that?" John B both hugged them before they heard noises coming from a bit farther away, and JJ approached to look at where the noises seemed to be coming from.

"Code red, code red, square groupers, square groupers!"

They all ran towards a wall, hid behind it and turned off their flashlights. "Do you think it's the men who shot at us?"

"Homie's got a gun"

They stayed silent for a while until Kie started running and Callie followed her. "Come on guys I don't want to die tonight"

They all jumped above a small wall but Pope got stuck. "Guys I'm stuck"

"Pope come on!" Callie said, anxious.

JJ raised the gun at Pope and acted like he was going to shoot at him to help him fall down. "Pope don't move"

"No" John B jumped on the blonde boy not for him not to shoot "put the gun down"

Kie went a Pope and pulled him down, ripping his shorts and they all ran towards the van, laughing.

John B drove the van to the chateau as they all kept making fun of Pope's underwear. He parked once they headed home and they all got out of the van, excited to see what was inside of the envelope.

"I'm starving," JJ said as he headed to the kitchen and took some bread. Callie followed him and he handed it to her.

"Want some princess?"

"Uh no, this bread had mold in it three days ago," she laughed as she pointed at the disgusting green parts on it.

"I'll just put off the bad parts, plus mold is good for you it's just a natural.. organism"

"Well if I was you I still wouldn't eat this"

He got closer from her and took the bread in his hands. "Good thing you're not me then"

She laughed and they both joined the others, as John B opened the package.

Callie joined Kiara on the other side of the table as John B was sitting down and the two other boys were standing next to each other.

John B took off the envelope a map, on what was an X handwritten.

"Oh.. X marks the spot," Pope talked.

"Longitude, latitude.. wait," John B put his hand back into the envelope "there's something else in there," and he pulled out a small tape recorder.

"What is that?"

"It's a tape recorder, dumbass," Kie snapped, looking at the object carefully.

They all stopped talking as John B unclenched it and a voice they all recognised started talking. Big John's voice. "Dear Bird"

"Bird?" JJ asked and Callie's eyes teared up as all the memories came back.

"It's the nickname his father used to give him," she replied slowly as they all focused back on the voice.

"I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so, and you doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either,"

Tears fell down Cal's cheeks as she got closer to John B and she put an hand on his shoulder, for support.

"You were probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly father of the decade. What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn and hopefully you're listening to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, living off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of the Merchant. If something happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kid. I love you bird, even if I didn't act always like it. I'll see you on the other side"