1. prologue

Numb. That's all I felt as I lay there, I couldn't remember how I ended up sprawled out against the cold concrete. All I could hear was the crackling of a fire, No how could that be? I don't recall having a fire going. Then I could smell and hear it so clearly, the burning wood, the splintering crack from the beams, and the faint hiss of burning skin. That was it for me. I kept telling myself to move but it was like I was glued to the floor. Then I felt a sudden jerk and in the next moment my body was being dragged across the floor, I couldn't hear anything but a deafening high-pitched ring and the sound of wood cracking by the second. Then everything went blank, I don't know how long I was out for, but I could suddenly hear the murmurs of people around me start to flood in. I stiffened in place and began to listen closely, anxiety welling up inside me as I began to wonder what the fuck just happened out there?

"Do you think he's infected?" The words sounded like they came from a far-off corner, a female perhaps? Maybe. I couldn't be too sure of myself In this condition after all.

"No, I examined him over briefly. Just a whole lot of scorch marks and a few bruises, nothing too serious." The next voice sounded exhausted and raspy, I couldn't tell yet either, I mean hell I could've been hallucinating for all I knew. 

As more people came and went I tried to lay low until I felt sure I'd be able to escape quietly, it felt like hours had passed as I did my best to ignore the sharp pain that seemed to cover my body,  the searing sensation spread through every inch like wildfire. I clenched my teeth, trying to endure the intense burning pain that seemed to engulf me. I struggled against the agony, but it was relentless, consuming my every thought as I shifted uncomfortably. Shit, I bumped into something. I moved too soon and suddenly I heard someone come to a stop as the canister spun to a quiet stop. Keep walking, just keep walking, nothing to see here.

"I'm either seeing things or I swear I just saw him move Atlas" It was an almost rushed whisper, and I swore It felt like all eyes landed on me, It sent shivers down my spine causing the table to rattle slightly.

Again dumbass? Now they know for sure you're awake. Mentally rolling my eyes I slowly began to pry them open before moving my hand to shield my eyes "shit that's bright, could yah maybe get that thing out of my face?" I muttered and winched as pain surged through my body. My vision slowly cleared and I could see everyone's eyes on me.

"Well, what're you staring for? hell, take a picture while yer at it why don't ya." I groaned and narrowed my eyes getting quite irritated, then finally someone stepped forward approaching me "Well finally I was beginning to thin-" my words cut off abruptly as she slammed me back onto the table- holding me down.

"You're gonna shut up and listen smart ass. Then answer any questions we have, do you understand?" Her voice was stern and her eyes were full of pure annoyance. I slowly nodded and she let go pulling me back up so I was sitting upright. Man was that painfully embarrassing, I adjusted rolling my shoulders back as I got more situated the awaited the questions.

Finally, she spoke "What's your name. And where are you from?" her eyes dug into me like daggers as she waited, man was she scary... "My name's Pyro, I'm from well. I don't remember.." It dawned on me that I couldn't recall anything much except my name and age at the time. After a while of let's play the question game, I was able to get a few names and learn a bit about what was going on.

Alex was the one who slammed me down and kept giving me death glares, geez she could certainly use a chill pill, but I guess it makes sense considering she's the leader of the group... unfortunately. Atlas was beside her to the left, slightly taller than her and most definitely taller than me, probably by 7 inches at the least, He seemed all right and more composed than Alex. Next was Hiroki, he looked shy and like someone who kept to himself, his face was hidden mostly by his hoodie, and black mask, I couldn't tell because his head was down most of the time, or maybe he was asleep. Who knew? The last person I met, for the time being, was Iris, she was energetic and certainly loud- she reminded me of a small puppy that had too many energy drinks.

After that Alex jumped into this huge rundown of what was going on outside the bunker that they had dragged me into. "the world is ending" She said flatly, her face expressionless and straight to the point, It sent chills through my body but I tried to remain as calm and collected as anyone could under these circumstances. "Scientists were experimenting on human subjects, and they ended up creating a nasty virus that destroyed you from the inside out, but then when they thought it would only kill a person. They came back, as foul creatures that have no recollection of their past selves. They destroy anyone they see, hear, or smell. When they find you, they'll tear you apart with no mercy or sorrow." She finished off there and left abruptly. I sat there in shock and looked around, Atlas approached me with a small bag and motioned for me to follow him like nothing had happened-

"She'll come around, trust me. She usually isn't this strict, she does it for the protection of everyone left here." His eyes looked sad and clouded with fear, he cared about her I could tell but not in a romantic way, no, it was almost like they were siblings, Perhaps.

He led me down a long corridor, and boy there were a lot of halls and rooms littering the walls. We passed by a large open area, he said it was an old dining hall but it became too small for everyone so they converted it into a meeting room. That's when we came across the new dining area, and it was huge, with tables everywhere and what seemed like a roped-off area that showed where a line should be, was in awe at how big this place was. As I continued to follow him I grew anxious, there was no way I'd remember the way around this maze of a place-

I must have zoned out because suddenly we came to a stop and my face connected with his back. I stepped back and rubbed my face "Sorry I wasn't paying much attention" I mumbled.
He shook his head and gave mine a light pat "It's okay, this is your room, there's a shower in there as well and in that bag I gave you are some clean clothes and any first aid equipment you may need." I listened carefully and gave a simple nod "Thanks" I murmured as I slowly opened the door and took a short glance around.

"If you need anything I'm right across the hall" He called out and soon disappeared before I could reply. With a sigh, I walked into the room and sat down on the bed. Things are never going to be the same, are they... I mean you heard Alex, The world was ending and all I can do now is survive and hope I never run into trouble-