Chapter Five

Thomas

It was almost like time had stopped, and there he was, frozen in place.

That name kept ringing in his ears, over and over, like a broken record player. Newt. His best friend. The one who he had shot, just months before.

When they first got to Paradise, he had sat down to talk to Minho about Newt. He didn't know what to tell him, how to explain how he had killed their best friend. But it was Minho that came up with a solution.

"You do realize he's dead right?" Minho had said to him, his voice flat and eerie.

"What do you mean?" Thomas asked, afraid that his friend already knew.

"He was already long gone when we left him" he said, running his hand through his hair, "And now with the riot. I don't think he survived the day."

Thomas felt himself calm. He knew what had really happened. He knew that Newt was already dead. But for Minho's sake, and the sake of their friendship, he just agreed. It was in that moment that he decided, Minho would never learn the truth.

He promised himself that he would never tell Minho what happened.

And now it was out.

"Sonya" a voice pulled him out of his head, "What are you talking about? What are you remembering?"

He finally opened his eyes, and instantly wished that he hadn't. Sonya was right before him, her eyes hurt and accusing.

"He knows what I remember" she spat. In all the months Thomas had known Sonya, he had never heard her speak with such hatred. And it was all forwarded to him.

"Thomas" Minho's voice said behind him, a hand came out to touch his shoulder, "What is she-"

He didn't wait to hear what his friend was going to ask him. He took off, running out the door and towards the forest. He needed to get away from her, he needed to think.

"That's right Thomas, just run away from your problems, like you always have!" her voice screamed after him. He kept running.

He ran faster than he ever had before, ducking in between trees and hopping over sticks. He had to get away.

He ran until his foot caught on a pertruding root, crashing to the ground. He didn't bother getting up.

So he laid there, on the solid ground, his hands covering his face, and he cried.

He cried because he now had to face the consequences. He cried because Sonya was angry. He cried because he somehow knew that his friendship with Minho was over. But most of all, he cried for Newt. Because the most kind hearted person he had ever known was gone, and he was responsible.