Chapter Four

Thomas

He raced alongside Minho towards Sonya's cabin. If what his friend said was true, and that Sonya really was remembering, they would be in for a long morning.

It was a phase they all went through, some quicker than others. After the surgery they had all had to remove the chip that WICKED used to control them, their memories were restored. They would be able to remember their families and their lives before the maze. And it was enough to send a person crazy.

Sonya was one of the last of them to remember. She kept saying that it was because she was so focused on the littles. She didn't have time for memories.

When they had arrived at Sonya's cabin, Thomas could hear her screams from inside.

He hated that sound. He had seen too many people die before, almost all of them ending with screams. Now the sound made him sick.

But he needed to be inside with her, he needed to help guide her through her remembering.

So he took a deep breath, and opened the door.

The room was a mess. Blankets had been thrown across the room, and books were scattered around the floor.

Harriet, Sonya's roommate rushed up to him.

"She's been screaming for almost an hour" she said to him, fear in her eyes. "Can't we do anything to help her?"

Thomas looked to Minho for an answer. Was there anything they could do?

"Unfortunately not" Minho answered for him, "We just have to let her know that we are here."

As if on cue, Sonya screamed from the corner of the room. When Thomas looked at her, his heart broke.

She was sitting on the ground, her knees pulled up to her head, her hands covering her ears. Her once pale face was now red from the tears.

"Sonya" he said her name, she stopped screaming. He spoke to her again, "Sonya, it's Thomas."

She looked up at him, her eyes filled with fear. "Why did you kill him?" She asked.

Thomas was taken aback. What did she mean? The only person who he had ever killed was....

"This is all your fault" she said to him, resentment in her voice. She stood up to face Thomas.

His face filled with fear. What did she mean it was all his fault?

"Sonya" Minho spoke from behind him, his voice quiet and calming. "You're remembering, Thomas didn't kill anyone."

"Yes he did!" she screamed, tears pouring from her eyes. "You don't understand!"

Thomas didn't even understand.

"He killed Newt!" she screamed at them. "He killed my brother!"