Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Grace and I looked at each other, puzzled. For most of the lesson we all had to help look for Sophie's glasses. It was incredibly boring. Finally, Ms. Smith said that everyone could have a break plus some extra credit for trying hard to find the glasses. At that very moment I liked Ms. Smith.

Ms. Smith, still as lively as a bunny, hopped over to her desk and pulled out a drawer. She then took out a dusty folder and flicked through it. The whole class was slouching in their chairs, tired. Some were even sweating from trying to find the glasses. But I wasn't because I didn't help a lot, I have to admit.

Ms. Smith found the page she was looking for in her folder and said, "I suppose we do have to start the lesson. Don't worry, Sophie, I am sure your glasses will turn up shortly. Moreover, you can relax for now, since you can't see the board, and the key, when you are really worried, is just to calm down." Ms. Smith started the lesson by drawing a diagram about how shadows form. Then she asked us to take out a plain piece of paper for us to draw a diagram. I opened the top of my desk, pulled out a piece of paper...and there they were. Sophie's glasses! I was shocked. I leaned back so much, while starring at them, that I fell backwards, off my chair.

        "Ow!" I cried, lying on my back against the wall.

        "Darling, Melanie, are you alright?" Ms. Smith asked, running up to me and helping me to my feet. She rubbed my back and sat me down on one of the orange beanbags. My back suddenly felt a bit better but it still ached.

        "I think I am alright. At least I hope I am," I mumbled.

        "Let me see if I can get you a glass of water. Then you might feel better."

 Ms. Smith headed for the door but as she passed my desk, she gasped. "There are Sophie's glasses!" She immediately turned to me and changed her mind about getting me a glass of water. She steadily picked up the bronze glasses and handed them to Sophie.

        "Thank you, Ms! I have no idea why Melanie would steal my glasses and hide them in her desk," Sophie said, grinning as she put on her glasses. Now, I know that you think I hate her and that's why I hid them but you are wrong, I promise you I didn't take her glasses. But I have got one question: who put them in my desk?

I had to spend the whole of lunch time in detention. And then when lessons started I had to be sent to the Head's office for proper punishment. And all that time I was trying to tell them that I didn't take her glasses!