Chapter 23 - Shady Acres

(Ahhhhh guys I'm so happy to be back writing! I am so sorry for the delay with updating, school has been ridiculously hectic, but now my swim season is over which means I get home at a reasonable time, so hopefully I'll get back on a more consistent schedule. I love you all so much!)

After a while, you hear the crunch of footsteps on the sand behind you. You don't turn around, not wanting to see the wrinkly face of Odin. He doesn't say anything so neither do you.

Instead, you lay your forehead on Loki's chest and close your eyes, thoroughly exhausted. Just as you are about to drift off to sleep, your face falls into the sand.

Spitting out dirt, you jerk back in surprise and see no trace of Loki's body. Not even an indent on the ground. You whirl around in surprise to see your suspicions confirmed.

Standing over you is the raven-haired god. Dry, handsome as ever, and smirking.

For a moment you are frozen in shock. Then all of the emotions you had finally gotten control over come rushing back. You have a sudden sympathy for Thor and how emotionally draining it must be to be Loki's brother.

"I thought you were dead Loki! I mourned for you!" You shout at him.

He doesn't seem to understand how big of a deal this is for you, so he smiles and spreads his hands out. "What did you expect?"

You glare at him. "I expected us to be a team. I expected you to be honest with me. I thought I was alone again Loki. And I know you know what a terrible feeling that is."

"(y/n) I-" He starts but you cut him off, wanting to have your say.

"If you die I go to prison Loki. There'd no reason for me to stay on Asgard and I committed terrible crimes in New York. Maybe indirectly, but still terrible. You laugh and act like it's a joke, but you don't know how hard it is to be the one on the receiving end of that joke."

You pick up some sand and sift it through your fingers, the roughness calming your shaky hands. Loki comes and sits next to you. "I'm sorry (y/n). I wanted to see how you would react."

You turn and look at him, mouth agape. "To see how I would react? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You played with my emotions just to get a reaction out of me? If you really had wanted to know what I would do if you died, you could just ask me."

Loki looks like a sad puppy and you have an overwhelming urge to forgive him. "I truly am sorry (y/n). Can I ask you a question?"

You nod. "If I died, how would you react?"

You grin at this. You haven't fully forgiven him, but you know over time you will. "Well Loki, if you died, for real, without faking it, I would be sad. Because I would have lost one of my best friends."

He looks almost sad, and you lightly punch him in the shoulder. "Hey. You do not get to be upset right now."

He smiles at you. "You're right. I am extremely lucky to have you. And as peaceful it is here, we'd better get moving."

You groan and stand up, him following suit. "Uh, where's Odin?" Turning in circles, you look around for the old man.

Finally you spot him, a speck in the water, slowly floating away. You poke Loki in the side and point. He sighs and runs off, cleanly cutting into the water and swimming out to grab the old king.

When they return, all three of you are soaking wet until Loki dries you off. You walk towards the city, and eventually reach a busy street. You take a deep breath of the nasty, pollution-filled air and smile. "New York. It's good to be back."

Grabbing Loki's hand and making a human chain with Odin at the back, you weave through the crowds of people, until you get to your destination. When you stop, Loki crashes into you from behind.

You roll your eyes and point. "Tada. The solution to our Odin problem."

He follows your gaze and reads the sign out loud. "Shady Acres Care Home?" He frowns. "Will they really just take him?"

You nod and smile. "Yep!" Then you drag them both inside.

The lady at the front desk has bright red hair and cat-eye glasses. She peers at you from over them. "How can I help you?"

You step forward. "Um, yes hi. We're interested in placing my grandpa here for uh, retirement? With our schedules and everything it's too hard to take care of him. But this seems like a nice place?"

You ramble on, gesturing at a plant on the desk. "I, uh, like your plant? It's very green?"

She frowns at you. "It's fake."

You feel yourself sweating and don't know what to say. But to your surprise, Loki steps forward. "What she means is, this seems like a fine establishment and we just want the best for her grandfather."

Loki stares at the woman for a moment and she blushes. "Oh, well yes of course." She flips through some binders and smiles. "It just so happens we have an opening on the second floor. If you want, he can move in today."

You smile, your confidence coming back. "That would be great! Can we take him up now?"

She nods. "One of you should stay behind and fill out the paperwork while the other moves him in." She hands you a stack of papers and you start to sign and answer questions, doing your best to lie as little as possible.

Finally as you are finishing up, Loki comes down the stairs. You show him where to sign and then walk back over to the desk to give the lady the papers.

She is on the phone and sounds worried. "What do you mean we're 10,000 dollars short of our quota?"
There is a pause before she continues. "I guess we'll have to start employee cutbacks." Another pause. "Well I don't know but we have to do something. We can't go out of business."

She hangs up the phone and looks startled to see you standing there. "Oh, thanks." She says breathlessly. You nod, give a small smile and walk out the door.

As you are walking down the street you give Loki a fake concerned look. "I hope that place isn't going to shut down."

He shrugs, not noticing your insincerity. "Eh. What's the worst that could happen?" You smirk, already knowing, and take his hand, making sure not to get separated in the crowd.

After a few minutes, when you're walking down a side street, he turns to you. "So. Where to next?"

You smirk again. "Home. You're going to meet my parents."