Chapter 5 - Real Power

After some time on the jet, you land and you and Loki are hustled off by a SHIELD agent. They escort you to a circular glass cell. Once you're inside, Fury comes in. You smile and wave at him but he does nothing.

"In case it's unclear, you try to escape, you so much as scratch that glass-" Underneath you, a hole opens straight into the ocean. "30,000 feet, straight down, in a steel trap. You get how that works? Ant," he points at you and Loki, "boot." He points at the button that could send you to an early death.

But Loki just laughs. "It's an impressive cage. Not built, I think, for me." You nod and try to smile evilly.

Fury doesn't look phased at all. "Built for something a lot stronger then you." You sit down. How does Loki stand for so long? I've been awake for like 18 hours.

"Oh I've heard. A mindless beast. Makes play he's still a man. How desperate are you? You call on such lost creatures to defend you."

"Loki!" You whisper. "That's so mean! Bruce is probably listening right now you can't say that!"

Now Fury looks irritated. "How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace, and you kill because it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did." As he says this you just shake your head. Loki did all of that, not me. Why aren't they saying anything about how I kneed Cap in the balls?

Loki leers at Fury with a taunting grin. "Ooooh. It burns you to have come so close. To have the tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what. A warm light for all mankind to share. And then to be reminded what real power is."

Fury smiles and begins to walk away. "Well let me know if real power wants a magazine or something."

You perk up at this. "Real power's roommate would like a magazine and some pillows." You shout after him.

He turns around. "I'll see what I can do."

In about 10 minutes, an agent comes in carrying some magazines, a couple pillows and two blankets. They are dropped in through a mini door that opens up in the ceiling of the cell.

Loki frowns at you. "What? I'm sorry you don't like to ask for things but I was tired and it's going to get super boring in here. If you want to use a pillow and a blanket, just say please."

"Never!" Loki shouts. "I would never say please to a Midgardian like you."

"Okay, suit yourself." You make a nest next to one of the windows and are about to drift into sleep when out of the corner of your eye you see Loki, sitting against the wall, trying to use a little indent to rest his head against.

"Ugh fine. The way your neck is I can imagine the crick you'll get in a couple hours, and no one deserves that." You give him one tiny pillow and a blanket. Then you fall asleep.

After a 3 hour nap you wake up and see Loki laying right next to you. His arm is draped over your waist, and you move it to grab a magazine. Once you are settled again, you lay it back over you and read.

About thirty minutes later, you are so deep in your magazine, you don't even notice Loki is awake. You stop reading when you feel his arm leave your waist.

He smiles at you. "You look so peaceful when you're reading."

"Jeez! How long have you been staring at me for?" You jerk back and stand up.

Just then, Nat walks in. "(y/n), I'd like to speak with you. Come with me."