Oh my!

Updated Version (1.5)

After a long walk, I arrive at a beautiful estate, with a luscious garden and towering black roofs. As I enter through a gate, into another garden, I notice a small girl standing there, with her hair tied in a ponytail. Her eyes are purple, too, and I wonder if her and Kocho are related.

"Kanao, would you please prepare some tea for our guest?" So that's her name. Noted.

The girl with the ponytail nods and hurries away into the estate. Kocho turns to me and says, "Come, let us head inside away from the sun."

I nod and follow the woman closely, as she's the one holding my umbrella. We enter the mansion and Kocho navigates her way through a maze of rooms, until she apparently reaches her destination. I peek around her and notice a small room equipped with a bed, a table and chairs, and small wardrobe. All the windows have been covered by curtains, blocking out the sun. I guess they had Kanao set this up for me?

Kocho walks into the room, dropping the umbrella by her side. She turns to me and says, "Why don't you rest for a bit, until the crow arrives?"

"That sounds lovely," I say, attempting to mask the exhaustion in my voice. But as I go to lay down, I can't help but ask, "Why?"

"Hmm?" Kocho questions. Damnit, why don't I know how to keep my mouth shut?

"Why am I here?" I ask, "Why am I alive, why did that man spare my life?"

Kocho walks over to me, resting a gentle arm around my shoulder; I can't help but flinch.

She says, "I'm sure all will be clear once the crow arrives... now, why don't you lie down and I'll bring you your tea, yes?"

"Yes..." I sigh, taking a seat on the soft cot. Apparently, I'm unable mask my shock at the overwhelming comfort.

Kocho giggles, "Pretty comfortable, hmm?"

I reply, "It is... it's been a while since I've had a bed."

Shinobu slowly walks over to me, and sits by my side. She softly says, "Your life must have been so difficult... I'm sorry you had to go through all that." What's with her tone all of a sudden... is she trying to flirt with me again?

"It's alright..." Let me try something... I ask her, "What made you change your mind about me? What made you believe I was innocent?"

The woman sighs and then replies, "I've killed too many demons in the past to count... they all have the same look in their eyes; a look of guilt and anger and sadness. But you... your eyes are different."

Kocho gently lifts her hand up to cup one of my cheeks, turning my head to look her in the eyes. What is this... My heart beats faster and faster, and I begin to panic. Clearly, I am not used to socializing. She says, "When you pleaded to me with your marvelous (E/C) eyes... I knew there was no way I could kill you." Marvelous huh?

I feel my cheeks grow red, most likely at the distance between me and Kocho- or the lack thereof. I notice Kocho quickly turn away and rise from her spot in your bed. Just as quickly as the moment happened, it ended just like that. She smiles, "I'll be back with your tea."

I allow myself to flop down on the bed once Shinobu has exited the room. "What a strange day..." I sigh, my lips forming into an inevitable smile. A soft knock on the door snaps me out of my joyous trance.

"Hello?" I call out, "Kocho?"

The small girl from the garden tentatively peeks her head around the now-open door. She bows her head before entering and extends her arms, offering me a pile of clothes. She says so softly I can barely hear her, "Lady Kocho wanted me to bring these for you."

I slowly take the clothes from the girl and say, "Thank you," with a smile. She seems to reach for her sword at the sight of my fangs, but stops herself halfway. This time, I flinch. Hastily, the girl, Kanao, scurries away, closing the door behind her.

After flipping an obscene gesture behind the closed door, I unfold the pile of clothes to find purple kimono, decorated with a butterfly pattern at the hem. I sigh with relief, thankful to finally have some new clothes to wear. How long has it been...?

I slide out of my dirty clothes, threadbare and tattered. Before putting on the new outfit, I freeze. "Is there some sort of washcloth I can use?" I ask aloud.

I walk around the room, naked, searching for something to clean myself with. I yank open several drawers and rummage through the wardrobe all to no avail. Defeated, I walk back over to my clothes...

"Oh my!"

I spin around, still naked, to see Kocho standing in the doorway. She drops her tea, turns around, and slams the door shut. I feel my cheeks grow redder than the fresh cut forming at my ankle from the broken teacup. "Shit..." I mutter, throwing on the kimono without a second thought.

After I'm done changing, I open the door to find Kocho pacing the hallway outside. She walks over to me, her cheeks arguably redder than my own, and bows.

"I'm so terribly sorry!" she cries, "I did not mean to intrude!"

"It's fine..." I mutter, avoiding her gaze.

She grabs my hands and says, "Ah, silly me, I dropped your tea! I must make this up to you somehow...!" I hide my wounded ankle behind my other leg as to not give her another reason to worry.

"Really, it's alright," I assure the frantic woman.

Kocho shakes her head, "I feel awful! Alas, I have an idea; I saw you naked, so it's only fair that I return the favor... would you like to take a trip to the hot springs?"