A Well-Deserved Pardon

Updated Version (1.5)

I wake up and find my hands still tied behind my back, as well as now my feet. I look around and notice it seems to be daytime, but I'm underneath a large umbrella. How hospitable. I try to turn to look around, but am instantly stopped from a kick to the face. I feel hot blood begin to drip from my nose, and I see the white haired man, Shinazugawa, bend down next to me. "Stand down or I'll slaughter you right here!"

I oblige, but see out of the corner of my eye, Kocho running towards me. Basically pushing Shinazugawa out of the way, kneeling by my side, she offers me another gourd to drink from. Not falling for that one again.

I feel myself involuntarily recoil, shrinking away from the woman. She smiles, "Don't worry, this one only contains a pain killer."

After a moment of hesitation, I accept her offer, and take a long sip. "There," she says calmly. She turns to Shinazugawa and asks, "Why don't you back up and give her some space?"

Shinazugawa stares at her with hatred and says, "No."

From atop a stage, a door suddenly opens, and an apparently blind man walks out. Being led by two creepy little girls, he walks to the end of the stage. I look behind me and notice all the Hashira are now kneeling before him all in a line. Well this certainly isn't cultish.

"Good morning, my children," he says in a calm voice.

"Good morning, I wish you a wonderful day to enjoy in good health!" shouts Shinazugawa, surprising me. What can I say, he doesn't seem like the friendly type.

"I can't see you, but I know you're here, demon," the blind man calls out. "What is your name?"

For a moment, I freeze, unable to allow any words to escape my lips. At last, I call out "(Y/N) (L/N)!"

"Good morning, (Y/N). How are you today?" he asks. What's he getting at? He seems to be the one in charge, so why did he call me here? And why is he being so nice?

"Answer him!" Shinazugawa growls through gritted teeth, punching me in the ribs.

I shoot Shinazugawa a look. "I'm wondering what I'm doing here," I reply to him, writhing in pain. "If you're going to kill me, could you please just get it over with."

The man laughs softly and says, "I'm not going to kill you."

I ask, shocked, "You're not?" and at the same time, Shinazugawa asks, "You're not!?"

He says, "Well, that actually depends on (Y/N)."

The man with the red hair speaks up and asks, "What exactly do you mean?"

"Excellent question, Kyojuro," he replies, "I sent you all out to take care of the demon in the woods, the one who killed twenty people-."

But what does this have to do with me...? Just tell me already! "- however, one of the crows flew back to me and reported a second demon in the area. According to Kocho, the second was innocent. If this is true, I would certainly feel bad about killing someone who has done nothing wrong."

"Do you really believe that thing?!" asks the man with the headband.

"I do," he replies, "The demon made no offensive moves, only defense."

"Even so," Rengoku says, "She is a demon nonetheless."

The blind man says, "She never asked to become a demon. Now, if you all would stop interrupting me for a moment, I'll explain what we're going to do."

Just take a deep breath... "(Y/N) here can make a choice; she can either be executed right here and now for being a demon, or she can be placed in custody of the Demon Slayer Corps, and work with you all to slay the demons which chose to kill others."

I shout without hesitation, "I chose to live!"

"Very well," the man says, "Kocho, you can look after her at the Butterfly Estate."

"Yes sir," she says, helping me take off my binds.

The blind man says, "I'll send a crow to you sometime tomorrow with the instructions regarding your arrangement," and then begins walking away- though not without the assistance of those two girls. As he exits the stage, all the Hashira rise and begins talking amongst themselves.

Once my arms are free, I bow my head and say, "Thank you..." to Kocho.

"But of course! When I first laid my eyes upon you, I knew..." her voice trails off as she seems to search around for the right words.

She eventually gives up and says, "Alas, let's head back to my home so you can get some rest-."

"Not so fast," a man with a gritty voice interrupts. We both turn to see Shinazugawa, glaring daggers at me. "Demon, a word?"

"I..." I consider holding my tongue for once in my life, but decide against it. Where would be the fun in that? "I have a name you know."

"I know, I just don't care- now, a word?" He doesn't give me a choice as he roughly yanks me away from Kocho and out of earshot. "Listen to me very closely," he says.

"Mhm?"

He tightens his grip on my arm and drops his tone further. "I don't care what the Master says, if you try and pull anything on us I will not hesitate to kill you. Understand?"

"Sure thing," I reply calmly, though on the inside his threat is pretty damn terrifying. It's not like I was gonna try anything, but jesus man, you didn't need to threaten me like that! "Though maybe you should listen to 'Master' a little better, yeah? Wouldn't want him to punish you," I tease him with a wink as I walk away.

I hear him muttering under his breath and I can't help but laugh. If he's gonna be an asshole to me, I'm gonna be an asshole right back. Two can play at that game.

"Everything alright?" Kocho asks me.

"Yeah," I smile, "Shinazugawa just wanted to, uh, welcome me to the Demon Slayers."

"Is that so..." Kocho asks, but her voice trails off. "Nevermind, shall we head back to my estate? You can clean yourself up, get some rest..."

Rest, huh? That sure does sound nice. "I'd love that."

Kocho extends her hand out and asks, "Shall we?"

I hesitate before taking it. Is this some sort of trick...? I gently take her hand, her long slender fingers interlocking with mine. I shudder. How long has it been since someone's held my hand?

"We shall," I reply to her at last. And at that we go.