Chapter Twenty

Ladies Solar. Castle Black, Ahigarth

Leah

Showing Nathan around Castle Black was very boring. The castle was large, had plenty to offer its residents, but Nathan himself was boring and boorish. He definitely thought that he was charming. He was very wrong. He was telling me some story about him and his brother, but I couldn't tell you a word he said as we entered the ladies' solar.

I interrupted him, "So this is the Ladies Solar. This is mostly where we do anything like sewing or art. Or reading, but I mostly do that in the library itself."

Nathan stepped into the room, my interruption not phasing him one bit as he looked around. The room was a fairly good size, with rounded walls that had a lot of large windows to allow plenty of natural light. There were several large plush chairs and two tables. One that had everything you might need for sewing or embroidery and another with some paints, though that table hadn't been used in many years. Amy was the artist of the family.

"This is a very nice room, lots of light. This is the type of room I would like to read in. Maybe once we are married, we can share this space. Not many ladies around here, I'm sure you would like the company." He turned and winked at me.

I frowned, "I'd rather you not. Though I do not have many ladies here at the castle, that does not mean I am quick to give up the space. Husband or not." I was losing my patience with his greedy comments. I think in his mind he already figured we were married.

He laughed, obviously not taking my words to heart. Nathan sauntered over to me, reaching out to graze the back of his fingers down my arm. "You have to admit, I am fantastic company, Leah. I can call you Leah, right?" Before I could deny him, he continued, "You don't have to be coy with me. I am very much looking forward to our wedding...and our wedding night. You are a very beautiful woman, I knew from the moment I saw you years ago that you would be the woman for me." His hand was traveling up and down my arm, his rough hand on my skin made my stomach twist.

I stepped away, slowly enough to be polite but far enough to make a point. "That's funny, I didn't notice you much when we first met. Why did you push for this wedding to happen so quickly?" I asked, wanting to know what his reasoning was.

Nathan ran a hand through his hair, frowning at the new space between us. "After I heard about what that bastard tried to do to you, I thought it best if we married quickly. I am here, you are here, why should we wait when it's going to happen regardless. King Bastion seemed to agree."

I moved across the room, looking out of the large window. I could feel the rage building, but I had nowhere to let it go. I looked around the large expanse of multicolored landscape, which had begun to change colors for winter weeks ago. There was starting to be more yellows and reds than green by this point. Then a tall figure caught my attention down below, coming from the west end of the castle. I couldn't stop the gentle smile from spreading across my face at the sight of her. She looked so strong and sure of herself, at home in her body as she walked with long purposeful strides.

"What are you smiling at?" Nathan's voice was right behind me, almost close enough to feel the air from his breath. I couldn't help flinching, having been caught off guard. I didn't hear him move.

I turned around, only to have him directly in my face. "Nature. Now could you please step back."

Nathan reached out, attempting to move a loose strand of my hair but I attempted to move away but then I was trapped between him and the table behind me. His hands were rough on my skin, his green eyes dark with something I couldn't name, his exhale of breath rushed over my face. My stomach turned, roiling with disgust and fear. He leaned even closer to me, his right hand circling around the back of my neck, and whispered, "You are going to be mine Leah, like it or not. I will have you. You can attempt to fight me, but you will not win." He leaned in and kissed my cheek, his facial hair scratching my skin, "You will be my wife in three days' time and I will have my way with you as a husband should. Remember your place, woman."