THIRTY

July 9th

Three weeks before

Daniella

It was already two weeks since the summer holiday started and Draco and I were savoring every second of it. When we first moved into the cottage for the summer, Draco was amazed by it. Or so he said.

There was a meadow we would lay in and watch the stars every night and I would use some of the flowers to make my own paint.

"Draco, do you want to go for a walk to the river? I want to try fishing, I haven't since I was little and I made a little fishing pole out of a stick." I sighed, "I know it's pretty stupid so if you don't want to come it's okay. I just thought–"

Draco cut me off. "I would love to."

As we were walking through the woods I swore I saw Lucius. I jumped and screamed in fear but when I looked again he wasn't there.

"Are you okay?" Questioned Draco as he rushed over to me.

"Yeah I'm fine I just thought I saw something."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

We got to the river and I dug some dirt up to find a worm and put it on the hook. I swung it into the water and held onto the string waiting for something to bite at it.

"Do you have any idea of what you're doing?" Asked Draco.

"Not a clue," I laughed. "You know what I don't understand?"

"What?"

"How you changed so much as a person in two years. I mean you absolutely hated me all three years at Hogwarts until our fourth year during the Christmas holiday."

"I didn't hate you, Ella. You made me question everything my family told me and it scared me."

"You've just changed so much. You used to be cruel and mean and everyone was scared of you but now you're kind and caring."

"I'm only like that around you. I don't like people, not normally. But I like you, I love you. It's weird years ago I never imagined I would ever find a loving bone in my body yet here I am now."

I was deep in thought when all of a sudden I felt a tug at the string and knew it was a fish. "I think I got one!" I shouted in excitement towards Draco.

I pulled the string towards Draco and I to reveal a very colorful fish. "What kind of fish is it?" Asked Draco

"I have no clue. Let's just hope it's edible." I joked.

"Are we actually going to eat that?"

"Of course we are. We didn't come all the way out here for nothing," I chuckled. "Don't worry I'll cook it. I know you're not the best chief in the world. And knowing I have no idea if we will catch another fish I'm not letting you close to this thing till it's in the oven."

"This is actually really good." Draco said as he lifted his fork to take another bite of the fish.

"I was afraid I was going to burn it. I had no idea how long you are supposed to cook fish for."

As we ate the fish on the small porch of our cottage we watched a small red fox run across the meadow. "Did you know foxes are a sign of good luck?" Explained Draco as we ate the fish.

"Really?."

"Yep."

As we finished our dinner, I went outside into the meadow and grabbed an assortment of flowers before heading inside to make more paint. It was almost dusk when I grabbed my canvas and went outside with Draco to paint with him. We sat in the meadow on a blanket, I handed Draco the paintbrush and put my hand over his to help direct him on where to paint. "You're a natural!" I complimented.

"I'm not sure if natural is the right word but I'll go with it." Draco replied sarcastically.

After almost an hour of painting we went back inside, put the canvas up to dry and went to bed. I fell asleep quickly in the embrace of Draco's arms.

"You both have failed your duties as death eaters and I feel as if you are not fit to be death eaters anymore. You have been unloyal to me. Draco! Look at me! You have failed not only me but your father as well. Daniella you have performed poorly as a death eater and have failed to serve me correctly. You both will now be sentenced to death. Avada Kedavra!"

I dropped into the ocean with a loud splash. I felt the stinging of the glass like water hitting my skin and I began to sink. I then realized there was a chance Draco was alive and I knew I had to get to the top of the water. I began to swim up but the harder I tried to get to the surface the farther I went down into the depths of the ocean. With my last breath of air I spoke to Draco hoping he could hear me wherever he was. "I love you."

I could feel the water filling my lungs, I could see every moment of life I lived, every moment I missed and every moment I cherished the most. I felt the immense pain of needing air but not having it. I felt the cold water against my skin bringing me farther into the depths of the ocean and as the last memory I had passed by and the darkness of death filled my eyes I let out a scream hoping this would all be my imagination. But there I was still sinking, still dying, and still wishing I was with Draco. My eyes closed into the death that lurked in the depths of the ocean and wished I had done more with my life.

"Daniella, wake up! You're dreaming wake up!" Yelled Draco as my eyes flew open.

"Oh my god Draco," I clung my arms around his warm body and cried on his shoulder. "It never went that far. I was dying. I couldn't breathe and I wouldn't wake up. I didn't know what to do."

"What was the dream about?" Asked Draco with a nervous and sad expression.

"Every time I have a nightmare it ends with me falling in the ocean and it's like when I'm trying to swim to the surface I just go further down. Usually I wake up after a few seconds of sinking but it kept going." I cried out.

"That sounds terrible. What do you say we go for a walk? That might calm you down a bit."

I nodded in agreement and Draco grabbed my hand to lead me to the door. We left the cottage and walked into the forest with the cold air filling our lungs. We walked through the thick fog and occasionally I would look up to the stars wishing my life could be as peaceful as the stars' existence. After almost an hour Draco and I headed back to our cottage and like he thought, I fell into a peaceful sleep as soon as we laid down.