FOUR

The next four weeks went by painfully slow, The slim relationships I was holding onto with my Gryffindor friends finally broke and I hadn't spoke to them in ages. Nothing exciting had been going on around the castle and with nothing better to do, I used all of my time practicing for Defense Against the Dark Arts. From the moment I woke up I was practicing and it wasn't long before I was finally becoming good at it. Each time I practiced I imaged Draco and I competing to see who was the best which obviously helped me try harder.

- - - - - - -

Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Hermione still had not said a word to me. I started to become more upset whenever I saw them laughing together but I did my best to ignore it. I barely had any social interaction and when people did talk to me it was not ever a positive conversation. I was getting desperate for some form of conversation as I was getting nothing so I started writing to my parents. I wrote to them multiple times a day yet, they never got back to me. It wasn't uncommon for my parents to ignore me but I thought after a few days they would have at least sent an O.W.L back to tell me to stop writing to them.

By the end of the week I had given up writing to my parents. It was clear that just like everyone else they wanted nothing to do with me. I usually spent the beginning of the morning writing to them instead of eating breakfast but since I decided to stop writing to them I headed down to the Great Hall to eat. On my way down I saw a few people give me strange, concern filled looks. I wondered why everyone looked so concerned for me all of a sudden but brushed it off, not wanting to give a second thought towards it. When I got down to the Great Hall, I saw Hermione and Ginny get up and start walking to me. I started getting nervous as they hadn't spoken to me in weeks but were all of a sudden looking at me as if nothing was going on between us.

When Ginny and Hermione got close enough to me, Hermione started talking to me in a sorrowful tone. "Hey I'm really sorry about your parents and if you ever need to talk we are always here for you."

I looked at them both and in a wave of confusion I chuckled. "You guys already know my parents hate me, it isn't that big of a deal."

Ginny and Hermione looked at each other in shock, then Ginny finally spoke up in a fearful tone. "Oh my gosh, you don't know do you?"

My stomach hit the floor and I suddenly became incredibly nervous. Despite everything my parents put me through I couldn't help but still care for them. "What? Ginny, what happened to my parents?" She didn't respond and before I knew it I was almost yelling at them to tell me what happened.

The only words Hermione said was, "I'm so sorry." In a whispered and almost regretful tone.

I immediately turned around and nearly started running to McGonagall's office. Although I should have gone to Snape's if something horrible really had happened to my parents he was the last person I would want to hear tell me.

I got to McGonagall's office and with a shaky breath I walked up to her desk. "Why is everyone telling me they are sorry about my parents. What happened to them?"

"Oh dear, Daniella, I think you should sit down first," said McGonagall in a frightened tone.

"Just tell me what happened to them!" I was shouting by now, I was so desperate to know what had happened to my parents.

"I'm sorry Daniella but they were in an accident."

"Well, are they okay? What hospital are they at?" I asked, relief filling my stomach, thinking my parents were only injured.

McGonagall paused, looking down at her wrinkled hands and back up at me. "There were no survivors, dear. Your parents have passed away."

I said nothing. I felt as if I was going to vomit. A thousand things were running through my head but I couldn't seem to comprehend any of my questions or thoughts. I stared off into space before McGonagall handed me some parchment. "This parchment states the reason for your parents death, I'm afraid I am not permitted to speak of the subject on school grounds. Do with it as you wish."