Chapter 3 - May 17, 2031

"How was your first day?" Kallen sat near the lake, feeding the ducks. Bread poked out of a pocket in his backpack. He offered her a piece.

Ivalin stared at the slice. Slowly, she sat in the perfectly cut grass. Her legs itched at it's rough embrace, and she narrowed her eyes at the boy. Gently, she took the bread, and she turned it in her hands. It was a normal product, one anyone could buy at almost any market except that spiral stores that surrounded the capital. She looked up and tracked Kallen's movements. She repeated his actions. Pieces of soft bread floated in the water only to be devoured seconds later. She squinted at the baby ducks.

"I call her Iggy" Kallen pointed to an ugly animal that was small, with feathers that didn't settle and beady eyes that swiveled. It lagged behind all of the others, seeming content in it's lackadaisical swimming.

Ivalin blinked. Her fingers played with the slice of bread as she stared at the sinking crumbs. Her shoulders tensed, as someone moved closer to the two of them.

"My mom always says, 'A little g-good thing goes a long way.'" Kallen smiled at Ivalin, and her face softened.

And Kallen was pushed into the lake.

The perfect picture of Ida B. Wells Academy was shattered by the aggression. Ivalin's face didn't twitch, but anger clawed at her chest, her mind raced with options. The lake didn't get too deep until a couple feet out, so Kallen couldn't drown. If she lashed out, there would be consequences so was revenge worth the contract?

Kallen gasped as he re-entered the air.

"Pardon us, but is there a problem?" She turned her head and gave a smile that held too many teeth to be friendly, and yet her perfect complexion did not falter.

Scear's smile grew as Kallen dragged himself out of the lake, water dripping from his hair, his clothes drenched.

"Could you... could you be a little more original?" Wiping the dirt away from his skin, Kallen grimaced.

"I only do the best for you," Scear taunted, but his tone barely softened. Ivalin tilted her head.

Kallen rolled his eyes, and Ivalin traced the freckles that blessed his nose, and she stared at the many imperfections. She bit her cheek.

Jealousy curled in her stomach, and she almost remembered a time where she once had imperfections. Ivalin ignored those thoughts. There was no point in wasting her energy on a fiction that would never come true: Renegades don't get to keep anything less than perfection.

Kallen shook off the water, snarling at Scear. He shrugged, put his bread away, and slung his backpack over his shoulder. "Can-can I g-go?"

Ivalin tilted her head, she watched the interaction with a struggling curiosity at the relationship they seemed to have.

An engine revved. Heads snapped to the beautiful, gleaming motorcycle, and the woman who sat on it. They were tall, graceful, powerful, dangerous, and Jaizya opened the visor, calling, "Let's go, kiddo."

A smile grew on Ivalin's face. She waved bye to Kallen, and slid onto the bike.