Chapter - 23

Without another word, Falcon grabbed Nadia's hand and started sprinting in the other direction deeper into the cave.

He looked behind at Olivia and said "Guide!"

Olivia wide eyed and frightened nodded and started throwing her hands left and right whenever they came across an intersection. Even a Spider's web was less complex. The entire pathway was much more denser and compact than a web. There was no pattern to it whatsoever. Every branch lead to another smaller branch which in turn lead to another narrow path. The ceiling baring upon them and the walls becoming more and more imposing.

The cave of stars felt like a lost dream. How could that divine place be connected to this monstrosity?

They ran deeper and deeper. No matter how much Nadia wanted to look behind, she steeled her resolve and kept running forward. Looking back would only make her more nervous.

Olivia was heavily panting. The voices behind them faded in and out.

Olivia led them to a narrow path that was obscured by a large boulder and made her way in. From outside there was no way of telling there was even a path there.

They squeezed themselves tight. Olivia whispered that they should wait there.

Nadia could see Falcon struggling to make the right decision .Then his brows smoothed and he gave a curt nod. But did not enter the pathway.

Nadia made to grab his hand but he was already gone

She prayed they wouldn't catch him or them.

All was quiet for a while.

Nadia breathed raggedly. There was no way of finding them here she kept repeating to herself.

"Who are you? How did you come in?"

Nadia whirred around with her flashlight. How stupid. In their hurry and terror they had not even checked to confirm if the cave was empty or not.

A man stood there with one of his legs inside his trousers while the other was out. His uniform matched the soldiers from the East Ido. They had walked in on a guard changing his clothes.

He did not look alarmed just utterly baffled.

Nadia opened her mouth to come up with an apt excuse.

"She is my friend" Olivia spoke up.

The man squinted towards the source of the voice. Surprise and terror flickered in his eyes. But only for a moment. He scrambled to put on his trousers and promptly dropped on one knee and put his head down.

Nadia hesitated in the shadows.

"We have strict orders not to let anyone trespass M'lady. Even you. I am afraid I need to report to the Governor. " the man spoke.

"You are saying I cant go where I want? Who is going to stop me. You?" It was like Ice dripped from Olivia's voice.

The man paled.

"But orders..." he stammered.

"Do you suppose my father will listen to you lot above me? "

He said nothing but looked at her pleadingly. "We cant go against the governor. M'lady."

"And its wise to go against me? Nobody wants any problems here. Just pretend you didn't see anything. I am only going to get grounded. You on the other hand..."

She left the sentence incomplete in warning.

Nadia couldn't decide how to act here. Olivia was surprisingly scary. Like an ice princess. She got from her father more than just her face. Inborn authority. And she knew how to use it.