"If it were Erwin here, I'm sure he wouldn't have snapped on you like that", Armin said lowly. You looked back up at him. "Well... There's your answer...", he looked at the two of you. "I wasn't the one they should've brought back to life", he said, eyes glossy as he turned around to walk away before you could even muster enough words to speak.

You felt stinging in your eyes as you watched the door closed behind him. You hated this. Oh you hated this so much your chest tightened, and it felt like you couldn't breathe. You slumped down on a stool, burying your face in your hands with a frustrated sight. What were you supposed to do now? Everything has gone to shit, and it seemed like everyone already lost their will to keep going or were about to lose it. To be honest, you were almost there as well.

"Fuck", you whispered strained. You forced yourself to stop thinking that way. It's like Mikasa always says; if you don't fight you can't win. You can't afford to ever stop pushing forwards, no matter the cost; even when all felt hopeless.

...

"Floch, stop it! Don't shoot!", you heard Jean yell as you and Mikasa walked the many steps up the stairs to rendezvous with them. It seems you arrived just in time to see a volunteer knelt down on the ground, winching and crying in agony as he desperately supported his hand. His right hand was ruined, blown up by a bullet to the top-half of his palm. Jean, Moblit and Marco was looking at him absolutely horrified.

"Calm down, Jean. I just made him understand. He didn't know the situation he was in, but I think he got the message", Floch said, before moving towards the row of volunteers to his right. "Now all these volunteers know what happens when you speak to us the wrong way". Jean looked enraged, Marco motioning for you to join his side quickly, not trusting Floch's reaction if he saw you stand separated from them when he was acting all entitled like that. You grabbed Mikasa's hand and lead her towards the others.

"Hey! Who the hell asked you to start acting like you're king of the hill out here?"

"I'm glad you asked Jean! Listen everyone!", Floch raised his voice demonstratively while eyeing the volunteers and soldiers alike, all gathered to watch him. "Ten months ago, Eren told me his plan! He said he'd use Zeke to grasp the Founder's power!".

'What, Eren told Floch and not us?'

Well that was a stab in the back.

"I gathered comrades to help Eren, and today his plan succeeded! You volunteers have lost your leader! The military isn't by your side either! And now you'll lose your motherland! Thanks to the rumbling, gigantic footsteps will be all that's left of it! You've lost your reason for coming here in the first place; the revival of your homeland! But if any of you still wish to lend your strength for the sake of the Eldian Empire here on this island, speak up! We will welcome you as Eldians!"

"Who do you think we are, you bastard?!", the volunteer with the injured hand screamed up at him, but not even a split second later his head was blown up. You winched at the sight of his brains spilling out onto the carpet.

"Show this man respect. He lived as a proud volunteer to the end, refusing to submit even in the face of a bullet", Floch said dramatically, putting on a fake chauvinistic tone. "But...", his tone turned solemn, no, degrading. "Pride is nothing worth dying for. What's so bad about submission? Wouldn't you rather live than die like this?", he asked the terror-stricken volunteers. They didn't answer him. "I'll give you time to think. Take the volunteers to their cells", he ordered a group of his followers. Floch then turned back to look at you, walking over to Jean who was now knelt down on the ground, eyeing the murdered volunteer with a defeated expression.