Chapter 15

Sergeant without a jacket

"And on top of that-"

"You've started your sentences that way ten times already, okay? Ten times! It's not like I'm talking about the other five different beginnings- Ow!" Pain flashed over Ivy's face and she reached for Howard's hand as the bullet was removed from her arm. It hurt like hell. She hadn't felt the pain when the bullet had pierced her arm, but she was sure the process of getting it out hurt just as bad. Howard contorted his face in pain as well. Ivy's hand was crushing his hand and he didn't want to imagine the pain she was about to endure. He didn't like seeing his sister in pain, especially since he blamed himself for being able to prevent it.

The siblings were in one of the tents of the camp where the injured soldiers were being treated. Many had broken bones, open wounds, consequences of malnutrition and much more. Bucky, Steve and Peggy were in the tent with the Stark's and  mirrored Howard's face as Ivy had the bullet removed from her arm.

The small bullet fell onto a sheet of metal. Ivy glared viciously at the bullet as a nurse bandaged her arm.

"Are you all right?" Howard asked  anxiously, secretly ready to get on with his speech again. Ivy nodded her head and looked at the rest. Or rather, Bucky. He stood second closest to her and looked at her pityingly, but when she smiled slightly at him, his face brightened as well.

"Arg," Howard imitated a vomiting cat. "Stop making googly eyes at your man and let me finish my speech!" he huffed. Ivy's and Bucky's eyes grew wide in sync as they registered Howard's words. Ivy's cheeks turned a little pink as Bucky's mouth hung wide open. She was ready to hit Howard here and now with a shovel and then bury him.

"He's not my-"

"We're not-"

"It's not what you think-" Bucky and Ivy stuttered wildly. Steve and Peggy watched them in amusement, while Howard rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"You stay out of this, jacket guy!" Howard pointed a finger at Bucky before starting to point his finger back and forth between Ivy and himself. "This is a family affair. I'm having a talk with you later."

"Howard," Ivy groaned embarrassed, to which he gave her a stern look.

"Don't talk in that tone with me, Frosty! I'm not the one who snuck off to Italy!" he flaunted, turning to Peggy. "For which you are partly to blame, Queen England" he reproached her, to which Peggy rolled her eyes in annoyance. She had had this conversation too many times. "And I didn't jump out of a plane that was attacked in mid-air, either!" he continued talking, turning to Steve with a finger pointing at him. "Which couldn't have been better thought out, lab rat Rogers."

Steve, after Howard's accusation and his nickname for Steve, looked more like a puppy who had lost his favorite toy.

"And all because the sergeant without a jacket liked to take a vacation in Austria!"

"Howard? Are you done?" Ivy asked, hiding her face in her hands and blinking out from behind some fingers. She had, in fact, had enough of him and his sarcasm. Peggy was the only one in the room who looked composed. Howard was having what felt like an emotional breakdown, Ivy was sinking with gushiness, Steve looked like a lost puppy, and Bucky still had to think about Howard's previous words.

"No, I've only just started!" Howard announced in a huff, causing Peggy to drag him out of the tent by his collar.

"Thank me later!" she shouted to Ivy as they walked out, not stopping despite Howard's protests. Ivy removed her hands from her face and looked apologetically at both men.