"Laughing is better than yelling. Who is it?"

"She is the substitute for Daphne's class," Hayden reveals.

"Really? Wow," Chris says. "I am surprised. How's it going?"

"It's going well so far. We've gone out a couple of times. I actually met her at the Chicken House. Mike and I were there to grab dinner at the end of shift and she was in front of us in line. She wanted to buy our meal."

"That was generous of her," Chris tells him. "Considering you're both pigs." He laughs.

"I kept it simple. Figured it wasn't smart to break the bank," Hayden says. "I actually told her I'd only let her pay if she joined us. She said she'd love to. By the time we were done she had programmed her number into my phone."

"That's great, man. Just remember what I said before. You've got to grow up at some point," Chris reminds him.

Hayden acknowledges what Chris said. "This feels different. I hope that's a good sign."

"Don't worry. It is," Chris says with a smile. "Now, let's go play some softball."

~~~~~
Daphne POV

I pull up to the church parking lot to see the teams warming up on the field. I knew Chris was coming straight from the firehouse since I was coming from my latest doctor's appointment with Dr. Kallen.

"Daphne!" I hear my name just as I open the car door. Looking around I see Hazel waving me over from the bleachers. I push my phone into my pocket and wrap my keys around my wrist before joining her.

"Hey!" I say as I hug her before joining her on the bleachers. I put my hand on her small baby bump and lean down. "Hello love bug. It's your Auntie Daphne. You being good for mama?"

Hazel chuckles. "Thankfully yes. Second trimester is definitely going better than the first."

"I can't believe you're already fifteen weeks. It's crazy," I tell her.

"It helps that I was already 8 weeks before we found out," she reminds me.

I look out over the field trying to find Chris. I spot James, Ollie and Rene warming up by tossing the ball between the three. "Did I beat Chris here?"

"No. He was warming up with Hayden but your dad asked him to help move the coolers from the gym."

  Sure enough when I look over my shoulder I see him carrying one of the coolers, the larger of the two, with my dad next to him. I can see those glorious veins popping even from afar. I wave to him, unsure if he notices me behind his sunglasses. But then he shows his pearly whites in a wide smile.

  Chris sets the cooler down in the dugout closest to our bench. "Hey babe," he says as he greets me with a sweet kiss. "What did Dr. Kallen say?"

  "We can talk about that later," I say as I look around at the crowd gathering. "I see you talked Hayden into joining." I notice Hayden walking over from the concession stand, Gatorade in hand.

  "Yeah. Got a funny story to tell you later too, but looks like we'll be double dating soon."

"Should I be scared?"

Chris laughs. "It's not Sophie so I think we'll be okay."

"Hey Evans! Quit flirting with my sister and get over here," James yells from the dugout earning him a punch from Rene.

"Duty calls."

"Make me proud, baby," I yell as he joins our church team.

"Does it feel strange not playing this year?" Hazel asks me.