29) IT'S FINE, REALLY

*Cody Walker's POV

*Cody Walker's POV

Dad was still in the hospital, but he was getting better. He wasn't too happy about his new diet, which included regular exercising and loads of veggies and other food that was considered healthy. The heart attack was caused by coronary heart disease, a.k.a CHD, which was treated with medicines and — to my dad's displeasure — a lifestyle change. 

Nevertheless, all that mattered was that he was getting better. Mom was with him in the hospital, so my job was to take care of Cole and Chloe. I'm not certain how necessary my presence was, since I was only a little over a year older than Chloe, but I guess they needed me. 

We had watched countless movies, ordered pizza and baked cookies together. We had even laughed a little, which I think we all needed to do. At least I did, because even though my job was to take care of my little sister and brother, I was in a bad shape myself. I just hid it well.

My hand was aching — mom accused me of fighting, but I insisted I had hurt my hand in practice — and I had barely slept the past three nights. 

Isn't it fun how little mom knew about me these days? She actually thought I had friends and I was partying every weekend. She even thought I was capable of punching someone so much it left my hand bloody, swollen and bruised. She simply didn't know me at all.

During the days I tried my best to not think about Ian and the kiss, because I didn't want to be "selfish" like my mom had told me I was. I needed to take care of my family, so my issues could wait. I only let the tears come in the solitude of my old room. 

I know it was probably stupid to be sad about the kiss when there was a much bigger fish to fry. Dad could have died, yet I cried because of some relationship drama. 

Funny enough, I hadn't even thought the possibility of having feelings for Ian before the party, but after he held my hand (stupid of me I know) and after I felt his lips on mine (even stupider all things considered), it was all I thought about. 

I won't deny it: I think I have feelings for him. It wasn't a nice realisation, since I knew painfully well it was all an act from his part. How could someone like him possibly like someone like me? 

And it hurt. It all hurt so freaking much that the pain in my hand felt like nothing in comparison. It was the feelings of incompetence and humiliation that crushed me to the ground: I would always only be good enough for the pranks and the beatings. That's why I cried every night when everyone else was already fast asleep.

"Cody, come on!" Cole exclaimed. Apparently he had been calling my name for some time, since he muttered something like this next: "Seriously, where's your mind at?"

"Your phone is ringing." Chloe added then and she gave me a look that was a mixture of annoyance and worry.

"Oh, sorry." I mumbled and took my phone from the coffee table. I answered the call while I walked out of the living room, snatched my jacket from the coat rack in the  hallway and stuffed my feet in some old sneakers.