30. The Lilac Party - Part 1

I might have misjudged the navy suits. I liked the gentle contrast of the colour with New's peachy complexion, as well as how it balanced my tanned tone instead of cutting it off too sharply, but even though they were each about as dark a blue as could be found, we still seemed to be standing out amidst everyone else's black suits. And then more so again with the lilac and gold theme of Muk's party.

"Well that's boring," New said beside me. I looked over at his words, already prepped with spread palms to excuse myself, but then didn't know what to do with any part of my body at all when he popped open two wide-set buttons on the shirt I'd specifically had him close to his chin.

"What are you doing?" I wanted my eyes to glare into his smirking face. I really did. We'd worked hard -- from a conspicuously large and stale distance, to my reluctant acceptance -- at styling our hair, and getting the seaweed from lunch out of his teeth. It would have been nice to make sure he hadn't ruined either by walking on the street and eating that chocolate doughnut from the kiosk at the train station. I swear, I tried really hard to direct my glare upwards.

"When people think about this years later," he replied, bending his knees so that he could lower his face to a height where my eyes might indeed be able to see it, "they're not going to remember that we were the only ones who came in blue suits; instead they're going to remember my sexy, white-as-fuck chest. Good, right?"

"The most peabrained thing I've ever heard. Come here, Chris Hemsworth." I reached for the silky cream shirt and he twisted quickly away.

"Nope. If I run into your sister and she disapproves, fine, but until then if you want to bug me about something just search for the glowing V. Now try to have some fun tonight, Tay."

New clicked the toes of his polished brown shoes and shuffled off into the crowd. I took a step or two after him, felt a disappointed laugh somewhere around my stomach, and stopped. I guessed I wasn't to expect any of that fun to include him.

I made myself hold a breath in my cheeks and take a second to appraise my sister's and my mother's extravagant efforts. They'd booked an event warehouse in the town closest to where my grandmother lived, one that had a train line connected to the city. Inside, it was a huge open space, with inset red-brick walls and low wooden rafters that gave it a cosy, warm atmosphere despite the size. The entrance from the carpark was in the rear right corner, and upon entry the guests were being stopped at a reception area to pick up nametags and fresh lilac flower boutonnieres to pin to their jackets and dresses. At the far end was a generous stage, bedecked with an enormous white chiffon backdrop that had fairy lights strung up behind it, and assortments of white and purple flowers hanging from green twists of vines and leaves overhead. Under the feet of the DJ, who was currently welcoming the attendees with indie guitar tracks for which my sister shared my love, was a carpet of fairly well-done faux grass, a little yellow even in the tips of the blades. The main space in front of the stage that was not clear for dancing was filled with round standing tables, and already quite packed with chirpy people looking forward to the coming buzz. Lastly, but perhaps the most spectacularly, the whole left wall of the warehouse had been replaced with floor-to-ceiling casement windows, their white wooden frames creating a gallery of paintings with the sprawling evening scenery outside; a native botanical garden on the hillside, lit by lanterns and overlooking the sea. Muk had spent most of her childhood on the beach, whilst her husband's family were known and talented landscapers, so the place had been their dream wedding location for years before they ever got married. Coming back here for every anniversary was a given, and they were two-for-two so far.

"What are you sulking for, love?"

I turned from where I'd been inspecting the buffet spread in the middle of the floor to see Mum smiling at me and adjusting her champagne pink dress around her ankles.