Chapter 12

After  agonizing over and dreading the interview all afternoon, I was flushed with relief when they shut the cameras off. As I had suspected, they scripted answers. I went through two hours of briefing before we started the questions, so I knew exactly what to expect. We had to start over a couple time and fix some things, but it went surprisingly well.

I was quickly shuttled off to a small private airport for a one-way flight. I was greeted by a slew of agents when we arrived. To my pleasure Ericson, Easton, and even Adam had joined us. It turned out they were active agents investigating the mystery around Talon and ZERTA. We chatted briefly as the aircraft began taxiing onto the runway. As soon as we reached altitude they left their seats to congregate around a conference table. Back to business it seemed and I wasn't included this time. 

I relaxed in my chair and quickly fell asleep.

"Hey Charlie, it's time to wake up." Agent Scott Manson, whom I had met briefly before take off, gently shook my should to wake me other. The other agents on the plane were gathering their belongings.

Groggily, I came to only to realize I had slept the entire trip. That must have been impossible though. With my nap earlier there was no way.

"It happens to the best if us," He smiled at me sweetly and gestured towards Easton and Ericson.

I let out a quiet giggle seeing the two grown men cuddled close to each other with blankets. I was certain the cuddling was unintentional. Then I realized that I didn't see Declan around. He had been in the seat right next to mine when I dozed off. I looked around and saw him and Adrianna sitting too close for comfort. She was giggling with her hand on his forearm and his charming smile was hard to miss. I felt a warm buzzing in my stomach.

"Just between us, they've been off and on for nearly two years now." Scott caught my gaze that landed on them. I felt my cheeks heat up. I couldn't believe that I had been so obviously jealous. 

My blood boiled. Of course he was with someone. I was several years younger than him. I was Talon's baby sister. He probably just felt obligated to play along because he didn't want to hurt my feelings more. I had been so foolish to think he could actually be interested in me. I'm sure it was his job to act interested to keep me on board with the game plan. A mixture of feelings swelled inside me thinking this was a scheme orchestrated by the CDA. 

Declan looked up from his conversation with Adrianna. I quickly swashed all the emotions swarming around me. I wasn't doing this all for him. I was doing it for me and my family. Regardless of any plans set forth by the CDA they were for the bigger picture. 

For a split second Declan looked guilty, but quickly he aimed that charming smile towards me. I should have known he was one of those guys. 

"Thanks Scott," I smiled up at him. He seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. I had thought that about Declan too though, so maybe I needed to stop trusting my feelings. 

"So did you pick Brazil or did they pick it for you?" Scott grinned as he helped me gather my belongs to deboard the plane. 

"They picked it for me, but really who am I to say no to Brazil? I mean, there are definitely a lot unpleasant places they could have picked to send me. Besides, I feel like it's easier to get lost in a crowd then in a deserted area" I shrugged as I shoulder my oversize purse. Scott had managed to pick up my duffle bag before I could.

"It really is, especially in Rio. It's the second largest city in Brazil, so you duck into a crowd of people and you're gone." He agreed which got me thinking. That meant if they used me as bait in Rio it'd be just as easy for my security detail to lose me as it would be for ZERTA.