IV: flowers 🌶

Backstory to the chapter "despair".

TW: Vomiting.

Chongyun POV

Deep breaths, Chongyun. You'll get through this. Your deadline is only April 1st. You have a whole 24 hours to tell him.

Oh god, I feel them in my throat. Before I knew anything, I broke down into a coughing fit. Thank the archons no one is in this bathroom. I had to rush out of class before anyone noticed. I felt the itch in my throat, and decided to just let it take over.

The contents of everything in my stomach came spilling out. But, of course, there were many flower petals lying within. It felt like someone had punched me in the stomach and held me upside down.

I sat down next to the toilet, feeling the tears run down my face. Why why why?

Why HIM of all people? He can't possibly be gay, much less like me!

I felt my breathing get weak, the tears hitting the cold tile floor.

I grabbed my bottle of water, gulping a generous amount down my throat. I lifted my knees off the ground, leaning against the wall for support.

I needed to talk to Xingqiu.

.

.

Class was finally over, meaning it was time. I was going to confess to Xingqiu under the Tree of Windrise. Did I want to do this? No. Do I value my career and life? Yes.

I saw a certain navy-haired boy walking up the hill. It was time. Truly and surely, time. He flashed a smile.

Okay, Chongyun, you can tell him. You have 16 whole hours to deal with rejection.

Xingqiu approached me, leaning on his heels. He stared at me in the eyes and smiled wider.

"You're so pretty, my liege!" He said, making my face flush into a bright shade of pink. I gulped, lifting a small piece of paper towards the other man. It was a nice shade of purple, almost a lavender color.

Xingqiu looked at me, his smile slowly dropping. He delicately took the paper, opening it with caution.

I shut my eyes, awaiting for the words. I knew what was going to happen. He was going to say-

"Lovely April Fools joke, my dear Yun~"

-no..?

I was not expecting that result. But, still, I was going to die tonight.

The rules stated clearly: Love must be both sided and a confession must be made by the other, or you will perish.

I forced a laugh, nodding and going home.

Hours passed. I had five more minutes. Five more minutes until I lose my life. I didn't want to die, but it's what fate has decided.

I wonder what flower will appear in my passing. When one passes from this disease, a bouquet of flowers will be left with one.

6..

5..

4..

3..

2..

1.

Xingqiu POV

Such a funny joke Yun pulled. I even got my hopes up too.

The boy I love, playing with my feelings like a guitar. It hurt plenty, but I somehow let out a smile. A laugh, even.

I sat in my bed for hours, thinking. His random absences, runs to the restroom, or the temperature changes, they didn't make sense.

And then it all came together. My Chongyun...

Fuck.

I ran to his house, sprinting as fast as I could. I needed to tell him, I need to save him. I finally arrived to his porch, using the spare key to rush through the door.

"Chongyun!" I yelled, running to his bedroom, but it was too late.

There he laid, so pale and quiet. His eyes were shut, small flutters of snow weaved in his eyelashes. His hands sat, folded on his stomach. I placed my hand on his cheek, watching as vines weaved over his body.

Then a flower bloomed. A rose, a vibrant blue color. Parts of his body had snow dusted on, and this flower was one I've only seen in Dragonspine.

His skin was cold, and his lips were turning blue.

His lips. The lips I've longed for since the day we met. He wouldn't mind if I..? No, no. I can't be dreaming.

I saw an angel appear in the room, white eyes staring at me. She gave a small smile, handing me one of the roses.

"Say your goodbye, and take a flower. His soul will forever be in peace, and his love for you will continue forever. Do what you wish to do, and ring this bell when you're done."

The angel disappeared as my love's skin started freezing. His hands had started turning to ice, and though his figure was beautiful, it looked horrible to see the man I fell for freezing.

I needed to say my goodbye.

I set the bell onto the desk, looking down over Chongyun. I placed one hand on his cheek, the other on his hand of ice. I felt the tears fall as I leaned down.

I let myself kiss the beauty, only for a moment. I knew I would miss it.

"Goodbye, my dear. Perhaps we will meet again in another life."