Our Secrets Die With Us

Start from the beginning

"Roommate?" Chanyeol muttered to himself.

"Have you tried her mom's pecan pie yet? I remember it being delicious."

"Uh, yeah. I'll be right back." Chanyeol grabbed Kyungsoo and pulled him into the guest room.

"What did he say?"

"He said he used to go over to Ms. Bae's house for barbecues."

"That's all?"

"He also mentioned he used to have a roommate."

"Seriously?" Kyungsoo looked around the room. "Do you think his roommate is a ghost here too?"

👻👻👻

Baekhyun was tampering with Chanyeol's Bluetooth speaker when he and Kyungsoo entered the room with suspicion written all over their faces.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He asked, setting the speaker aside.

"I was just thinking; you mentioned how you were glad you finally had someone to talk to when I summoned you, meaning you were alone before."

"Yeah..."

"So, I was wondering...what ever happened to your roommate?"

His eyes darkened and his mouth stretched into a thin line. "It's none of your business."

"Can I at least know their name?"

"No."

"Are they still alive?"

"Still none of your business."

"Did they, by any chance...have something to do with your death?"

Baekhyun's eyes went completely white. The speaker beside him launched into the air, striking Kyungsoo in the corner of his eye. A book followed, then pens and pencils, a stapler, scissors, anything stored in his drawers until the entire desk charged at them.

"Baekhyun!" Chanyeol shouted when his desk slammed into the wall. "Are you crazy?! You almost killed us!"

"Don't ask me those kinds of questions then. I don't appreciate them." He floated back to his closet, phasing through the door to have a moment to himself.

Chanyeol reached for Kyungsoo's hand to help him to his feet. "Are you alright?" He examined the bruise forming beside his eye. It was already a dark purple.

"I'm fine, it's just a bruise...you can let go of my hand now."

"Oh." Chanyeol pulled away, chuckling awkwardly. "Sorry."

"So, what was that all about?"

"Ghosts don't like talking about their deaths and I guess I got a little too nosy."

"Maybe you should apologize."

Chanyeol looked back at the closet with a sigh. "I guess."

"Well, I should leave you to it. See you at school." Kyungsoo caught him off guard by giving him a hug, before grabbing his backpack and heading out the door.

When it shut behind him, Chanyeol made his way over to the closet and pried the door open a little. Through the small crack, he saw Baekhyun sitting crisscrossed with his back to him and his head in his hands. He cleared his throat to announce his presence, but the ghost didn't move.

"Hey. I'm sorry if I said anything that...bothered you, I guess."

Baekhyun turned ever so slightly to look over his shoulder. "I know what you're doing, Chanyeol. I saw the paper Mr. Kim gave you. I get that you want me gone, but you aren't going to find the answers you're looking for. No one in this damn neighborhood is going to confess, so you're stuck with me until November."