Chapter 4

FOUR YEARS LATER

The coffee shop is empty when I step into it that morning to buy myself something for breakfast. I find it somewhat surprising considering it's early in the morning. But there is a short queue at the counter and as I join it I dig around in my handbag for my purse while pushing my glasses back up onto my my face. Despite having perfect eye sight four years ago I now have to wear glasses permanently. I had tried picking out a stylish pair which I thought would suit me but they no longer seem to suit me every time I see my reflection.

Once I've finally found my purse amongst a mixture of random items I chance a glance at the other end of the queue, where a tall guy is paying for his takeaway coffee. At first I don't pay him any attention. He's probably some business guy who works in an office and is ordering a chai latte. It's only when I hear him speak to the girl behind the counter that it suddenly feels like all the breath has left my lungs. Surely it can't be him. Not after all these years. But there's no mistaking that London accent, or his slightly bow legged stance, despite him no longer looking like the Ellis I used to know back at university. His hair is a lot longer and thicker on top, and though a grey scruff still covers his chin and jawline he looks far more toned than he used to.

I manage to catch him as he walks past the queue with his coffee in his hand, and he looks more than just a little stunned to see me. He recognises me immediately even though I've grown my hair out since I last saw him and my eyes are now hidden behind a pair of glasses.

'Joan.. .?' he questions.

I give him a brief smile. 'Hey, Ellis,' I say. 'You look good.'

He looks a little embarrassed by my compliment. 'Uh, thanks,' he mutters while glancing down at the takeaway cup of coffee in his hand.

'How are you?' I ask him.

'Yeah. . . I'm good,' he replies while taking a sip from the cup in his hand. 'How are you?'

'Yeah. . . not bad, thanks,' I answer before the girl behind the till asks me for my order, and after I've paid for two cappuccinos and a bacon roll to take away I turn to look at him. 'Maybe we should meet up sometime,' I suggest. After all, it's been four years since we last saw each other. We have a lot to catch up on. I would ask him to join me for breakfast but I know my mum is expecting me to bring back her coffee as quickly as possible.

He runs an awkward hand through his thick hair at my suggestion. 'I don't think that's a good idea,' he mutters.

'Why?' I ask him. 'Because of what happened four years ago?'

He nods and I quickly tell him how I put all of that behind me long ago. 'We were young and stupid back then. . . surely we can start over,' I tell him. 'We did somehow end up finding each other in this huge city after all. That must mean something.'

'Maybe,' he admits as he takes another sip of his coffee, before my order is placed in front of me.

'One bacon roll and two cappuccinos,' the girl says.

'Thank you,' I say as I pick them up, before I turn back to look at him only to see he's looking at me with those intense brown eyes of his.

'You know. . . perhaps we could meet up,' he says. 'Like you said we've somehow found each other again. . . why shouldn't we carry on being friends? We're both mature and responsible adults, after all.'

His phrasing makes me chuckle, but his answer pleases me and we exchange mobile numbers before I finally head home with my breakfast and my mum's coffee.