Chapter 1

Joan's POV

I see him again this morning, standing in the foyer of the apartment building we live in. His tall and imposing slightly bow-legged figure stands by the double doors, and I see he's picking up his post which has just arrived. I smile as I push my backpack further up onto my shoulder. I was hoping I hadn't missed him. Maybe today will be the day we walk to campus together.

He's a third year university student, like me, but we've hardly spoken to each other despite living in the same building. I've tried many times to startup a conversation with him, but they've always ended up being one sided. He rarely speaks to anyone. I know he likes to keep to himself, but I wish I could share more than just a simple greeting with him. We are next door neighbours too after all.

As I watch him shove the few envelopes into his backpack which hangs off his shoulder, along with his familiar, grey camera bag, I decide that today is the day that I'm going to out right ask him if he wants to walk to campus with me. I used to drop hints about us walking the short walk together, but had given up on that idea fairly quickly when I had realised he wasn't interested. It's not that I long for company, because I don't. I just want to get to know him better. I want the two of us to maybe become friends.

But before I can say a word he leaves through the front door and disappears down the steps. He hadn't even noticed me standing right in front of him in the foyer. I hurry after him and try to catch up with him, but he's a lot faster than me and has disappeared the moment I reach the bottom step. I try not to sigh in disappointment as I fiddle with the red, tinsel scrunchie which is holding back my ginger hair. I had really hoped today would be the day.

I do see him in the library later on that afternoon, but just like this morning he hardly notices me. Instead he sits at his regular table with his regular portfolio open in front of him, which he's idly flicking through while casually resting his chin on one hand. As I get closer to him I can spot earbuds in his ears, and I notice his usual cassette tape player sticking slightly out of his hoodie pocket. Despite not having spoken much to him I know he's studying for a photography degree. The camera bag he always carries around with him is a dead giveaway, though I've rarely seen him take any pictures while on campus.

Sticking to my normal routine I head over to the table he's sitting at and sit down opposite him. I happily set down the textbook I've pulled off of one of the shelves before I dump my backpack down on top of the table. Usually he never looks up when I sit down, but I must have made a lot more noise than I usually do as today he glances up at me, and for what must be the first time since I first saw him move in next door to me, he looks right at me with such captivating, brown eyes my heart skips a beat. I'm suddenly entranced and can't look away from his intense gaze. I'm not sure what to do, so I offer up an awkward smile.

'Hey, Ellis,' I say only to remember he has earbuds in his ears. He probably can't hear me. But it turns out he can.

'Hey,' he suddenly mutters. At first I think I must have imagined it. But I quickly realise I hadn't when he speaks again. 'Nice scrunchie.'

I can't help but smile as I touch the red, tinsel scrunchie in my hair. Not only is he talking to me but he's also noticed an incredibly small detail that none of my classmates have yet noticed. 'Thank you. I thought seeing as Christmas is coming up I should try looking a little more festive,' I explain. 'Are you looking forward to the Christmas holidays?' I ask him brightly as I sit down in my seat. Now he's talking to me I want to make this conversation last a little longer while I have the chance to.

He pulls out his earbuds. 'Not really,' he mutters and he reaches into his hoodie pocket for his cassette player, which he turns off. I can only watch in a stunned silence as he wraps the earbuds around it. He's never once turned off his precious cassette tape player to listen to me.