20.CRANE'S RETURM OF AN IDENTITY

Começar do início

"As you wish, Young master. I request you to come down for breakfast. The lady awaits you in the eastern breakfast hall," with that, the family's century old servant disappears.

I frown. My reflection in the mirror was growing to look more and more like him. Despite my attempts at the opposite, I couldn't stop genetics.

I sighed. I have been sighing a lot these days.

Hikari made fun of me because of this newly developed habit. Said I looked like father when I sighed.

Just great, another similarity. It's not like I looked like a complete clone of his anyway!

No, Akira, don't be so ungrateful. Any similarity to father is an honor bestowed on few.

Putting on a new red Yukata and ceremonial earrings, I made my way towards the dining hall. I could see mother and Hikari already there as I walked down the stairs.

Their chairs face the glass window that opens into the garden. Faeries danced on flowers there, completely unaware of the viewers.

Do they not notice us? Or do they not want to?

Adorned in a  faint silver gown and crystal jewelry, mother looked like the epitome of serenity. Next to her, Hikari in a fiery red dress, however, did not.

Sometimes I wonder just why someone with such a soft nature married someone as bold and fiery as father. 

Maybe opposites really do attract...

"Good morning, Darling. Did you have a good night's sleep?" her soft voice was calming, just like her presence.

"Yes, mother," I replied like the obedient son I was, not wanting to worry her.

"Good Morning, sleepyhead," was the loud greeting I got from my sister in contrast to my mother's.

"Be louder, why don't you, Hikari? Maybe they didn't hear you in the elven lands," my reply made her scowl and make a face at me.

For a girl who declares herself a lady at every chance she gets, she sure acted quite childish.

"Children, have some table manners. I taught you better," mother chided lightly while sipping her tea.

"Sorry, mother," I apologized. The apology leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

"That's all right, little light," she called me by that name again.

Little light. Always little.

No, Akira, don't think like that. Don't be so ungrateful.

"Is father still getting ready for the day?" I asked, munching on some toast.

"No, you see, honey, there was an emergency at the court. So your father had to leave a bit earlier," mom said, looking apologetic.

The food sudden taste bitter.

He left? Without even seeing me out?

It was my first day at the academy and he just left? No goodbyes, no hugs.

"He was truly sorry he couldn't personally drop you off. He even instructed Inayat to come here and pick you up," mother said, already stepping into her role of the peacekeeper.

"It's okay. It must've been important," I said with the best cheerful look I could muster.

Before mom could say anything else, I cut her words off, "Mother, it's fine. I am fine."