Chapter 18: Goodbyes And Hellos

Natasha watched Katya closely as she approached them, trying to send her a comforting smile when her sad eyes looked up.

Katya did her best to push her sorrow away, instead trying to mirror Natasha's expression. That didn't entirely work, but for the sake of whatever conversation was about to follow right now, the focus shouldn't be on her.

''Everybody good?'' Natasha finally asked when Katya stopped by her side, really wishing she had a jacket on so she could stuff her hands in those pockets. Now, she felt kind of awkward. 

''I am clearly injured,'' Melina deadpanned, clutching her side, supported by Alexei. But nobody was seriously hurt. They all stood on their own legs, and had no broken bones or any other serious, life-threatening injury. 

''You got something to say?'' Natasha questioned Alexei, who seemed to finally understand what he did wrong. He self-reflected, who'd have predicted that?

''I'd just mess it up.'' He hung his head and hesitantly reached out to her, his hand hovering in the air as he waited nervously what she would do. But it seemed that Natasha had forgiven him, or was at least ready to give him another chance.

Awkwardly, she placed her hand in his, letting it linger while a careful smile appeared on her face. She was happy to be in a better place with him.

Yelena knowingly smiled, meeting Katya's eyes to find a same kind of expression on her face. They both knew Natasha didn't hate Alexei as much as she pretended she did, and both of them giving in to their egos and just accepting this truce was a beautiful step.

But more than this currently wasn't going to happen, and Natasha let his hand go not a second before a new sound reached all their ears. It was faint still, but without a doubt the engines of cars approaching.

She sighed, looking past the smoking rubble to see black dots in the distance. ''Here comes the cavalry.''

Katya raised her eyebrows in surprise. ''Ten cars? I feel honored, really.'' Yelena silently chuckled at that, even though this situation was far from funny. They escaped capture from one man, only to be threatened with that by another. Because there was no way they could outrun those cars. Definitely not with Melina injured.

''So, what's our plan?'' Said woman asked, ready to keep fighting, to keep the wives out of Ross' hands. It wasn't even to her own benefit. She did this purely to help them. 

''You guys go,'' Natasha replied softly, locking eyes with Katya. ''We'll stay.''

Katya nodded, looking at the others one by one. ''They're here for us, not you.'' While she appreciated their offer a lot, they shouldn't be dragged into this.

But, of course, that's not what they thought should happen at all. All at once, they started to argue, because apparently, they were as aware of Natasha's stubbornness as Katya was.

''That's insanity. We fight. We fight with you.'' Alexei was too confident in his abilities to change her mind.

Natasha shook her head, not bothered by all the annoyed looks thrown her way. ''We'll hold them off.''

''Natasha, we fight,'' Yelena joined in. 

''We can't split up. You're so pigheaded.'' That was Melina, who could get angry awfully well for someone injured.

Natasha smiled through the whole thing, just waiting for them to be done. ''You guys, go.'' See? No changing her mind.

''Oh, my God,'' Yelena muttered in her beautiful Russian accent, barely stopping herself from rolling her eyes, which made Katya chuckle. Yeah, Natasha had this gift of getting under people's skin without actually doing anything. It was a curse.