Chapter 13: Sinners Play As Saints

''Katariina. I thought you looked familiar.''

Melina looked at her calmly, her cold eyes on her face. Even though she didn't appear openly hostile, and her words hadn't sounded mean, something within Katya snapped. Maybe it was the tension that had slowly built up over the course of days. Maybe it was Natasha's anxiety that fueled hers. Or maybe it was all that anger she had suppressed. 

Didn't matter what the reason was. She leaned forward in her chair, pressing her flat palms against the table with so much force that it might break under the pressure.

''Just say what you want to. Because apparently people are throwing out their opinions of me left and right. So go ahead. Say whatever words you have laying on your tongue.'' Her voice had raised, which she didn't like. Together with the scowl on her face, she knew she had crossed a line. Taking a breath, she blinked away tears and pointed to a very shocked Natasha.

''All I ever did was love Natalia. I didn't abandon her. Not out of free will. I don't care what you have to say about us, or about me. It won't change anything.''

A gentle expression settled on Melina's face, the corners of her mouth curling up. ''Do you think I don't know that?'' she said softly, completely unbothered by her outburst. 

''What?'' Katya was completely confused, staring at the woman with a blank expression. She felt guilty about yelling at Melina, thinking she ruined this already, but she didn't seem fazed in any way, like she expected this to happen.

''Why did you think we decided you should go? Katariina, your love for her was as clear as day. Anyone could see you two were better together.'' Katya was completely stunned, falling back into her uncomfortable chair. Melina shrugged, going back to the food on her plate. ''I am not surprised you found your way back to each other.''

Katya's brain didn't work anymore. The last thing she expected was for Melina to be so kind after previously almost shooting her in the head at the gate. 

''You are part of the reason Nat and I were split up?'' she breathed. She believed only Dreykov was responsible for that decision. But it made sense Melina had a say in it, if she really was working closely with him. But for some reason, Katya wasn't angry. She was exhausted with all the insecurity, the new revelations every day.

Melina averted her eyes to the table. Never did Katya expect her to feel any pain, thinking back to this. ''Your connection, it was beautiful, but it was also dangerous. It corrupted both your minds.'' Alexei's words exactly.

With a compassionate expression, she looked up, her eyes calmly flickering back and forth between the two women across from her. ''I never thought it was wrong. It was just a distraction from the real work.''

Natasha sucked in a sharp breath, shoving her chair back abruptly, breaking Katya out of her trance. ''I can't do this.'' She towered over the table, obviously ready to stalk off. ''Katya,'' she urged her to follow, walking away from the tense conversation with big steps.

''Wait, Natalia.'' Katya shot up, slow to process what was going on. The conversation messed with her head. She had always believed they pulled them apart because they were disgusted by relationships, especially between two women - Russia wasn't exactly open minded on that topic - but for Melina, that had never been the problem. It was pure business.

''Where are you going?'' Melina called after them, Katya rushing to catch up with a very determined Natasha. She had her stubborn look on her face, the one that could end in stupid decisions.

''To do this ourselves,'' she replied, flicking on the light in the small hallway because it had gotten fairly dark outside. It was obvious where she was headed. The armory.