Chapter 2: Vulnerable Moments

They silently got out the car, Natasha pulling her coat off in case there were unwanted guests in their temporary home she needed to kick out. Always expect a trap. Mason proved to be trustworthy until now, but he could turn on them at any given moment.

Katya pulled her gun from her waistband and handed the other one to Natasha, who clicked the safety off and went first.

Their footsteps were silent on the flattened and muddy grass as they walked to the caravan. They were too exposed for Katya's liking, but no houses or anything stood nearby. In fact, she didn't see anything but forest and road. Despite that, she kept her gun up and glanced around constantly.

When Natasha reached the door, she shared a glance with Katya, who nodded. In one quick motion, she pulled on the handle and stepped inside, her whole body on high alert. She dove left, so Katya turned right.

She was met with an empty seating area.

''Kat,'' she heard behind her, whispered softly. Katya turned to find Natasha in the door opening of what must be the bedroom. Her posture had relaxed, and the gun hung in her hand loosely.

Interested, Katya joined her side and almost burst out laughing.

In the middle of the double bed lay Mason. On his back, his mouth slightly open, snoring. If she still had a phone, she would have taken a picture and teased him with it till she end of his days. Even Natasha was smiling now. That adorable half-smirk.

She walked closer, studying him for a while until she kicked his feet and he shot up like she had shot him. ''You're in my bed,'' she smirked.

Katya stuffed her gun back where it was before. ''Our bed.''

Mason's eyes flickered between both Russians, staring up at them because he still hadn't moved. ''I'm... I'm not even under the covers,'' he answered with his English accent, his eyes droopy because he was so abruptly woken from his sleep.

''Thank god,'' Katya muttered, disgusted by the idea that other people had slept in her bed.

Her voice attracted his attention and he rolled his eyes at her presence. ''You're still here?''

''You're still jealous?'' she teased without missing a beat. Mason had an obvious thing for Natasha, despite knowing he had zero chance.

He glared at her as he sat up and scooted to the edge of the bed. ''I'm not jealous.''

''Sure. Try and tell a five-year-old that, maybe they'll believe you.''

Natasha chuckled, not giving two shits about what Mason thought of her or wanted of her besides cold hard cash. She wasn't stupid. She had seen the way he looked at her. It was kinda funny and they loved teasing him with it.

''Did you get everything on my list?'' she asked. 

He nodded and pushed past Katya with a playful glare, swiping something off a side table in the kitchen and handing it to Natasha. ''Got passports, entry visas, a couple of local driver's licenses. Mix and match, you should be able to stretch it to twenty or so identities.''

Damn. Katya had to admit, that was pretty good. They were planning on staying here for a while, like they did in every country. Just a couple weeks before moving on. Or moving on when they thought they were spotted. This place was so remote though, they could stay for months if they didn't make a mess in town.

''Fanny Longbottom?'' Natasha raised an eyebrow, flipping through the documents he had given her.

''What?'' he asked innocently.