XV. Finale

• Akari •

Illumi walked out of the clearing with the others to meet up with Kurapika, Chrollo, and Phinks, who were currently huddled under a tree. "It's done." His eyes slid to meet Akari's, while holding a needle like a dart. "You're next."

A cold sweat hit Akari as she jumped back in horror. "What?!"

A few moments passed before he said, "I'm just joking." No emotion showed on his face.

Killua gawked at his older brother. "Illumi! D-d-did you just attempt to be funny?"

"Yeah," the oldest Zoldyck child shrugged. He looked to Akari as he continued talking to Killua. "Someone told me I need to work on my communication skills."

While the brothers were still talking, Kurapika let Chrollo loose by releasing his chains. Chrollo rubbed his arms and shoulders. "I sure am disappointed in myself," Chrollo chuckled. "I can't believe you caught me twice, Kurapika. You really are an impressive nen user." He smiled and looked at Akari. "I guess your threat is gone, but now you're an orphan."

Akari scowled. "Am not. I have Ging."

Chrollo sighed. "Well, I've got better things to do. Maybe I'll see you all around." He stood up, brushed his clothes off, and left.

"We're leaving, too," Feitan said, referring to Phinks and himself.

As they walked away, Phinks muttered, "I can't believe you sided with the other side."

Feitan looked at his taller friend and shrugged. "I was just trying to protect my niece."

"Your niece?" Phinks jumped back in disbelief.

Kurapika laughed. "Well, it looks like Feitan kept a secret from his own friend." He looked at Akari and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, let's catch up soon. I've got a thing or two to take care of for a client over the next few days, but I'll reach out to you once that's done."

While Kurapika was still talking, Akari shrugged his hand off her shoulder and walked over to where her mother's body lied motionless. She squatted down to take a closer look at her pained expression. There was nothing peaceful about it, just like her death.

Kurapika followed and inspected Mika's body. "Perhaps I can help you with a proper burial before I go," he offered.

Wordlessly, Akari nodded as she brushed a stray hair away from her mother's pale, somber face.

While the two Kurtas were inaudibly discussing Mika's burial, Illumi and Hisoka appeared before Killua and Gon. "We're leaving, too. Maybe we'll see you all around again." Illumi looked at Killua. "See you at home, Kil. Don't cause too much trouble on your way back."

"You too, Gon," Hisoka added.

Killua growled at Illumi, while Gon frowned in response.

Illumi walked back to the his sullen partner and tapped her on the shoulder to get her attention. "Bye, Akari. Maybe we'll meet again soon."

Akari looked up at her emotionless partner and quietly nodded in acknowledgement. "Bye Illumi."

"Take care," Kurapika added.

With that, the eldest Zoldyck and his clown friend walked away joyfully. Illumi's job was done.

• Gon •

A small funeral was held for Mika, which Gon gladly attended to support his new friend. There weren't many visitors at the cemetery that day, but Gon observed the few faces that were present. He thought that only he, Killua, and Akari would be in attendance. Surprisingly, Chrollo, Phinks, Feitan, and Kurapika were all able to show up as well.