III. Confrontation

• Akari •

"Are you still looking into my family?" Killua questioned Akari harshly.

"Not really."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he spat.

"It means I only know what is posted on the Hunter website," Akari defended herself.

"You're not lying to me, are you, Akari?" Killua narrowed his eyes at her again.

"No, I have no reason to." Akari couldn't understand what had gotten into Killua. She was telling the truth. She had given up her Zoldyck family research after Killua requested it, but she couldn't understand why he was being so mean and why he seemed to have trust issues.

"You understand that you are probably going to be back on Illumi's radar, right?"

Akari nodded. Honestly, as much as she liked Killua, she was sad that she had to consider his nutcase of a brother and the dangerous nature that accompanied him.

"And let's not forget I know about you too. Illumi happens to be in close connection with the Phantom Troupe. If any of them get wind of your heritage, you're gonna be as good as dead." Killua's eyes were serious. He looked like he could kill someone.

"I've fulfilled your request to quit researching your family, Killua. I'm actually quite confused by your hostility towards me," Akari explained.

Killua glared at her. "It's because I care about you, baka. Wouldn't want you to end up in the wrong hands."

"Well, it's almost like you're practicing tough love or something. Remember, I'm your senior."

"Yeah, and I'm no longer the tween boy you met at the exam, either." Killua closed his eyes, turned his head to the side, and crossed his arms. "I'd suggest you watch you back. Things have gotten worse with the Phantom Troupe since Kurapika took out two of their members. They don't think before killing."

"Understood." Akari realized she'd been holding in her breath, so she finally breathed out a sigh of relief. "I'm going back in."

Killua followed her back inside without saying another word.

• Killua •

Killua thought about the unpleasant conversation he just had with Akari. Since they saw each other again, he feared that Illumi would come after her this time. Illumi knew about her from Killua's second Hunter exam, but Killua wondered if Illumi thought they were close friends or something. He had admitted to Killua that he had strongly considered killing her.

Killua didn't want to lose someone precious to him. He pondered on how to convince Illumi to stay away from Akari.

He and Gon said their goodbyes, then left the cafe, only to be greeted by Illumi. Before he spoke, Gon stepped back into the cafe to give the brothers some privacy.

"Hey, Kil. What did you and your friend discuss a few minutes ago?"

How the hell did he know I had a conversation with Akari? Killua hated when Illumi got nosy, but it was better to answer Illumi's question so as not to jeopardize his friend's life.

"Just checking if she dropped her investigation into our family. That's all," Killua replied. He searched his brother's face for any kind of reaction.

"Ahh, smart." Illumi looked around before turning his attention back to his younger brother. "Say, why are you protecting her? Isn't she a problem?"

"She doesn't know anything beyond the information on the Hunter website and my face, so I think we're in the clear. No need to get rid of her."

"Hmm," Illumi brought his finger to his chin, thinking about how to say his next phrase. "See, something just seems off about her, you know? I mean, can't you feel it?"