Prologue

August 29, 2009

"Tag you're it!"

Small footsteps thumped the ground as two little boys ran around the yard. The sunny day was the perfect excuse for them to play outside.

"Boys, Snack time!"

The two little boys run inside the house. The cooling air of the air conditioner cooling their small bodies in an instant.

"Aiden, take Cayden to the bathroom so he washes his hands and wash yours too little man"

"Okay mom"

Aiden, age twelve, took his friend to the bathroom. Aiden had a head full godlen hair and bright blue eyes.

"We apply the soap, rub our hands and rinse off"

"I know how to wash my hands Aiden" says Cayden. Cayden is the same age as his friend, he's also autistic, something his mother struggled to understand.

"Okay Okay, do you want to do that thing again?" Aiden asks. Cayden frowned and shook his head.

"I cannot look people in the eyes, we should stop forcing it. Also, my mommy said it's best I don't look at people because they won't tell I'm broken"

Aiden frowned.

"She said that?"

"Mhm, I'm all done. Lets go eat some doritos"

Aiden didn't say anything as he followed his friend downstairs. The boys have been friends for two years now.

Aiden's mother, Jade is a nurse at the local hospital. She had met Cayden's mother, Winona, who was a cleaner, at the hospital cafeteria. The two ladies hit it off and formed a solid friendship, with Jade occasionally watching the kids since she worked on the weekends.

"Why the long face honey?" Jade asks her son. The preteen had a long face.

"Something Cayden told me doesn't seem right" the boy says.

"Oh? What is it?"

"He said his mother called him broken....well not in that way but she did"

Jade sighed. She knew about this, Winona always vented to her that having an autistic son was a challenge for her. Jade had once offered to adopt Cayden but the woman took it as if she was being told she couldn't take care of her son.

"I'll have a talk with her. Maybe we can help Aiden find a better environment"

Aiden nodded. His eyes glance to Cayden, the boy was busy eating to notice them. He chuckles.

"Messy eater haha!"

━━━━━ • ஜ • ❈ • ஜ • ━━━━━

"Cayden look" he says pointing to the ground with a stick.

Cayden turned to look, he saw a doodle on the wet soil. Two stick figures in front of a house.

"Who are they?" He asks.

Aiden smiled.

"Thats you and me, this will be our house"

Cayden didn't understand but it was funny to hear so he laughed.

"I see...."

Aiden huffed.

"I'm serious Cayden, one day I'll build a big house and I'll take you there. We'll live together and eat cake everyday!"

"Sounds nice"