3 - Becoming A Man

Start from the beginning

I don't even know how long we practice but when Tony calls it a night, I am drenched in sweat and my hair is as wet as if I just stepped inside from the pouring rain. My throat is burning with thirst and I down the offered bottle of water in one go.

"That was very good for the first time," Tony compliments me. "You have talent, Brent, just like your dad."

I glance at my father who seems more pleased than ever. Pride swells in my heart – for the first time, I can't find the scornful glow in his eyes that is usually always present when he gazes at me. I swear right then and there that I would not disappoint him again. I would learn to be the man he was expecting me to be.

Tony hands me a towel. "Hit the showers, kid. I am sure your mom is waiting with dinner."

My father holds me back and grabs a pair of boxing gloves. "Wait Brent, I want to show you how your old man handles things."

He gives out a small whistle. "Yo, Mancini, get your ass over here for a little one on one practice," he calls out to a young woman who is sparring on the mats with her partner. "You missed three training units this week."

The woman hesitates and exchanges a look with her partner before slowly making her way towards our little group.

"This will be interesting," Tony mumbles and steps closer to the ring. My dad tosses his jacket to the side and Tony helps him secure his boxing gloves.

"Don't knock her unconscious or break any bones," he whispers to my father. "Remember, she is still the director's daughter."

My dad snorts with disgust. "She is nothing more than a spoiled brat who only got into the team because of favoritism," he hisses under his breath. "I am telling you, the day they allowed women to join the FBI was our downfall. Females have no place in law enforcement, truthfully, they shouldn't even be working to begin with. All they are good for is producing babies and clean up after us."

Tony smirks and I can't shake the feeling that he is in total agreement with my father. My mom never worked outside our home and I couldn't really grasp the whole concept.

The woman climbs into the training ring and my dad follows suit. He is a full head taller than her and next to him, she appears tiny. The muscles in his upper arm alone are almost as thick as her thigh.

They dance around for a moment before my father delivers a strike, aimed directly at the center of her chin. She ducks but is not able to fully avoid his blow, stumbling backwards.

My father grins with glee. "You are a little rusty there, Mancini. Maybe you should take practice a little bit more serious and not only exercise in bed with your boyfriend."

She flinches. "I was sick, sir and provided a doctor's note at your request. I am just getting back into shape."

My dad pauses and his eyes travel up and down her frame with disdain. It is the same glare he gives my mom when he is angry with her. "I guess I will have to help you with a speedy recovery."

For the next minutes, he mercilessly pounds on her, not just with his fists but with plenty of kicks in between. I have to admit she keeps up a good fight but at some point surrenders by raising her hands in defeat.

"That's enough," she pants. "You won – in all respects."

Her breath is heavy when she climbs out of the ring, shooting me a sympathetic glance. Blood is smeared all over her face and a red swelling decorates her left cheek. I can't help but feel sorry for her. My dad beams in victory as she disappears in the locker rooms.

"Get your bag, Brent," he demands. "We can take a shower at home."

My stomach is growling and I am looking forward to my mom's home cooking. She promised me spaghetti and meatballs this morning and I can't wait to get home and tell her about my practice.

I rush to comply with his orders and find my bag in the changing room together with my shoes and jacket. As I tie my sneakers, I hear upset voices through the gap in the door.

"He is just a mean ass, Alex," a man says. "You shouldn't let him get to you like that."

There is a muffled sob. "He is just constantly hassling me, Evan," the woman from the ring mutters with distress. "I should just ask my dad for a transfer back to DC. There are plenty of other jobs with the bureau where I don't have to put up with his shit."

Evan sighs. "Don't let him win. You wanted to work for the Behavioral Science Unit your whole life. Six more months and you can ask for another supervisor."

There is a thump like someone is hitting the wall. "He is just such a sexist bastard. He treats me like I'm dirt under his shoes – totally disrespectful. And then he always makes these little sexual remarks that make me feel really uncomfortable – you know, about us."

Evan snickers. "He is just jealous, Alex. I heard he has an awful marriage."

Alex's laugh is bitter. "Someone told me he beats up on his wife and kid. Knowing him, it is probably true. That was his son with him tonight - I really feel sorry for that boy."

It finally dawns on me that they are talking about my dad. I want to hear the rest of their conversation and sit perfectly still, afraid to breath too loud and draw their attention. I never heard anyone speak badly about my father before and want to find out as much as I can.

"You should be careful about those types of allegations," Evan cautions. "Ryan Parks is a senior member of the unit and will likely run the BSU one day. He has friends all over the Quantico police force and is quite chummy with the major. You don't want him to dislike you even more than he already does."

Alex snorts. "If that is even possible but I get it – close your eyes and ignore what is happening. It's all a game for those big boys in the bureau, even for my dad." She is rummaging through her locker. "But mark my words, Evan – one day, Ryan Parks will meet his match and then he will know how it feels to be at the other end of the stick."

"Let's hope so."

Evan continues chatting about his plans for the rest of the evening and I tiptoe out of the room, wondering if Alex is right – will there be ever a person who will manage to bring my dad to his knees. 

This was the first chapter in which Brent transforms from the scared and timid child into the ill tempered and violent man you probably all know from "Living With The Choices We Make". How did you like this chapter? Does it all make a little bit more sense to you?

You also got to know more about Ryan and the kind of person he is. Alex will make an appearance in the sequel of "Living With The Choices We Make" - maybe even become a regular at some point - so I casted her here for you to take a peak if you want to know how she looks like.

Please comment - I would really like to take this journey together with you - and vote if you liked this chapter. Your feedback and support are the things that keep me going.