Chapter 8

Malik

"So you're saying that Angel still has something to do with what's going on?" I asked as I parked my car.

Me and Jermaine were at my second job to see if we can get anymore information from Mr. Bridges about his daughter.

"Hell yeah cause nobody knows that Amara was shot except for me, you, Nia, Vinchi, Kiara, and Khalisè. Hell, King doesn't even know."

"So what did you do?"

"Shit, I didn't do anything because I didn't find out until after I broke up the fight."

"Fight? What fight?"

"Oh, Kiara and Angel got to fighting in the mall." He said as we got out of the car.

"Who won?"

"Angel ass couldn't do shit. Kiara was giving her the business tho."

"As she should." I nodded.

"But enough about that. Wassup with you and Khalisè? Heard y'all on the outs." I scoffed, rubbing my chin before looking at him.

"Shit, her ass mad at me."

"Nigga what you do?"

"I ain't did shit." I scratched the back of my head. He stale faced me before he shook his head.

"Imma ask again, what you do?"

"I might have told her I think she has something to do with what's going on." I mumbled. I looked at him to see his face scrunched up.

"You a fucking dumbass, you know that right?"

I smacked my teeth, squinting my eyes at him. "Yo, shut the fuck up, dawg."

"Nah, cause you know damn well Khalisè ain't got nothing to do with what's going on."

"Why the hell does she freeze up every time someone mentions this Kevin nigga then?"

"Hell if I know. I might be act slow sometimes, but I do know that she ain't got nothing to do with this. You should too." He said as we walked through the building. He shifted his bag that had his laptop in it to the side.

We took a cut around the corner, getting to Mr. Bridges room.

"Hey Mr. Bridges." I said, giving him a hand shake.

"What's up, Malik? How you doing sir?" He said to Jermaine, holding his hand out. Jermaine shook his hand, staring at him with this look on his face that had me confused.

"How you doing, Mr. Bridges?" He asked.

"I'm doing fine. So wassup? You don't come in until later?" He said, bringing his attention to me.

"I know but I'm not here for work right now. Mr. Bridges, this is my brother, Jermaine. He's been helping me try to find your daughter." Mr. Bridges nodded, looking in between the both of us.

"Oh okay. I appreciate it bruh. Have y'all found anything?"

"Not yet-"

"Not yet but I might have an idea in my head." Jermaine said which had me confused. He hasn't told me anything about an idea.

"You said your daughter is 21, right?" Mr. Bridges nodded at Jermaine's question.

"And this picture." Jermaine pulled out his laptop, showing the picture of his ex wife. "This is your Ex wife? The mama, right?"

"Correct."

"I might have just found out who your daughter is, Mr. Bridges. First, I gotta make sure I got my information right tho." Jermaine said.

He gave me a look before shaking his head, putting his laptop back into his bag. I scrunched up my face, looking at him.

Fuck is wrong with him?
~
Vinchi

"Vinchi, let me go." I scoffed before chuckling, looking at Jasmine trying to stop her leg from bleeding.

"You haven't answered my questions, Jas." I bended down in front of her.

"I-I did."

"Where's Cortez?"

"I told you I don't know."

"So you, Angel and Cortez still working together?"

"Yes and no." I scrunched my face up.

"What you mean?"

"I'm saying." She held her head up, catching her breath. "Me and Angel at working against Cortez, we work for Kevin."

"Who's Kevin?"

"I c-can't tell you. He'll kill me."

"Well it seems like you gonna die either way." I mumbled, twirling the bloody knife in my hand.

"You must r-really love her." I paused, tilting my head to the side a little.

"What?"

"Amara. Y-you must really love her if yo- you're gonna kill me about her."

I stared at her, not knowing what to say.

"Imma ask you again." I said, ignoring her question. "Who. Is. Kevin?"

She stared at me, sighing as she struggled to sit up.

"Okay, fine."
~
Nia

"What are you talking about?" I asked, holding the phone up to my ear.

"QG, I'm doing good in here. I'm glad that you're doing everything you can to help my situation. I truly appreciate it, but you gotta focus on something else." King said, talking in code.

"I am but I gotta get you out of here too. You can't just sit in here for nothing."

"I'll get out of here in due time. I need you to focus on yourself, do you hear me?"

I played with my nails, holding back the tears that were in my eyes.

"Baby.." I looked up at him, seeing the look on his face as he watched my tears fall.

"I miss you, King." I mumbled, wiping my face.

He sighed, tapping his fingers on the table.

"I miss you, too. I'll be out soon, I promise. Nothing can stop me from getting out of here. I'll find a way to make everything right."

"But what if it never happens?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Ain't no what ifs. We don't talk like that 'round here, Ight? We gonna be straight."

As he finished his sentence, the guards came and got him, rushing him to leave the room.

I got up, walking out of the room and out of the building.

I just hope he's right.