Chapter 16 - Ice Cream

Six Hours Later

Six Hours Later

Jennie leaned back in her chair and groaned, and her back muscles released the tension that had been building up from almost six hours of sitting. She looked at her computer screen and still couldn't believe she had written for that long without a break.

Since her last two published stories had hit the literary scene, Jennie had been approached by an agent who wanted to represent her and publish a book of her short stories. She dug through her work and pulled up all the short stories she had ever written and given them to the publisher, but they wanted one more story.

All her dreams were coming true. She had gotten into the grad program she wanted, got the job she wanted, was given the opportunity to publish her work like she wanted. Everything she had wanted was hers. Everything, except for the girl she wanted.

Jennie got up and went to the kitchen to get a drink. She didn't want to think about Rosé or the fact that her plane had probably already landed and she was starting her new life.

"Forget her," Jennie told herself and finished her water.

Jennie stretched again and headed back to her desk. She was trying to forget about Rosé but this story she was writing wasn't letting her. It was about Rosé. Sort of. She let out a bitter chuckle. Apparently getting her heart ripped out equaled writing one of her best stories to date.

As she started on her next chapter, her phone beeped alerting her to a new text. She picked up her phone and froze and her heart rate increased tenfold. It was a text from Rosé. Jennie almost deleted it without reading but she'd be lying to herself if she said she wasn't curious as to what the other girl had to say.

Did Baekhyun give you my message? - RP

Jennie stared at the message for what seemed like hours, trying to decide if she should respond. She decided on something simple.

Yes - JK

That's all. That's all Rosé would get from her. She put her phone away and started writing.

Three thousand miles away in a cab to Brooklyn, Rosé smiled seeing Jennie's short message. At least she responded, so that was something. Rosé waited to see if Jennie would text more, but she didn't. Disappointed, Rosé put her phone away and looked out the window at the city that would be her new home.

"You OK?" Ashley was sitting next to her. They had just dropped off Sunny and Lisa but they had all made plans to meet up for dinner later.

"Yeah," Rosé said softly, "I'm good."

###

Six Days Later

Rosé sat in front of Tiffany Hwang and tried to follow what she was saying but the woman talked really fast. From what Rosé could make out Tiffany liked her work so far and wanted her to help on a small low budget movie the studio was producing. Rosé agreed, not really sure what she had gotten herself into, but she really didn't care as long as she was working on a project.