Chapter 17

"So that's how she died."

"Yeah."

They paused between doors to comprehend what they saw. She sacrificed herself to save all of them and her brother, with no regrets.

"So what are these doors?"

They looked at the continuing row of doors with frowns. "Our time with her?" Luffy didn't waste any time before jumping into random doors, "Oi Luffy slow down!"

They didn't stay long in these ones, she was little but the same and it was the World they knew of. Her as a child, growing up relearning chakra control and jutsu. Leaving her island, adventuring into the New World. Meeting Luffy and the crew in Alabasta.

Luffy frowned at the current memory. He didn't remember this happening at Thriller Bark. Ace was seeing his brother's adventures for the first time, seeing how strong he's become. He had no idea what he was witnessing was a big secret very few knew.

Hana stood next to Zoro, glaring up at Warlord Kuma who held Luffy in his hand. "Take me in his place." Hana knew she didn't have a large bounty but he was worth it.

Before Zoro could try and knock her out, she stopped his attack with one hand. "Please. Take me instead." Turning to Zoro she hissed at him. "You're too injured, you moron. Let me do this." She shoved him away, which was too easy due to his wounds.

"You won't survive this."

"I've never been a gambler but I'll take my chances." Hana approached the large red bubble, "Can we do this somewhere else?" Glancing back at Zoro she gave him a smile. "Come find me later okay?"

Leaving the swordsman and Luffy, Hana walked with the Warlord a ways away. "Thank you." She was sincere towards him. He saved Luffy by letting her do this, it meant a lot to her.

Sighing, Hana plunged both hands into the bubble. Luffy and Ace shielded their eyes at the light and gasped at the sight.

Hana stood with her arms crossed in a destroyed area, blood covering a majority of her skin. Her breathing was ragged but she was still standing, still alive.

Ace watched Luffy's frown deepen, he didn't know about her sacrifice back then. What she did to keep him safe, the pain she endured to keep him out of the Warlord's grip.

"You didn't know?"

"No."

A figure ran towards them, revealing the green-headed swordsman and blonde cook. Hana peeked an eye open and smiled at them. "My odds were good." Her eyes then rolled back and she collapsed, being caught by the cook.

They exchanged looks but didn't say anything about it as Sanji carried the woman back towards the others. It was an event they didn't discuss, something only five people on the crew knew about.

The scene shifted again, showing Sabaoby and Hana watching them all disappear. Before they had to go to another door.

No words were spoken as they finished the memories, finally seeing her big fight against Kaido. Neither were prepared to witness her battle prowess in action, nor seeing her so angry.

At the end of the hall was one final door. "Do you think we missed her?" Luffy whispered as he stared at the door, it was the last one. If she wasn't there then where was she?

Without replying, Ace forged ahead into it. Only one way to find out. They stood in a clearing, facing two sitting figures.

A large nine tailed fox and the redheaded ninja. Ace slapped a hand over his brother's mouth to keep him from shouting at her. They were in the middle of a conversation.

"Kurama, why are you here?"

The fox tapped her forehead with his finger, "It's been many years since your passing Hana." The redhead frowned at that, how long has it been then? "I died there as you did, bringing me here."

"Okay. Wait what?" Hana smacked his finger away and pointed her own at him. "You're dead? Where's Naruto? What happened?" If he was dead then that means something happened to Naruto!

"He's fine, a part of me lives in him and a part of me was taken. Remember?" The fox actually looked sad at the thought of what happened. "It seems I am still cursed with being tied to your clan."

"Uhh okay. But why me? I don't remember a jinchuuriki seal." She lifted her shirt up to check her stomach but didn't see anything. "Why now? And when did you arrive?"

"I don't know myself. But when you used up your chakra you were close to death, it released me."

Oh, Hana nodded her head. That made sense. "So what now?" She leaned back on her hands, gazing up at the fox demon. "What do we do now?"

"You come back with us!"

Luffy managed to squirm out of Ace's hold and shout at his friend. "We're going home!" Ace let him go, watching Luffy bounce over to the shocked woman.

"Luffy? Ace? What are you doing here?"

Ace strolled over to the standing duo, glancing at the fox from time to time. "You're not healing fast enough. Some old man named Sarutobi offered to send us into your head to find you and bring you back."

Hana went wide-eyed at the name. "What did you just say?" Her hands gripped Luffy's hard, "Who did you say it was?"

"Uhh Sarutobi old man?"

"What the frick."

Hana spun to look at the fox, "Sarutobi was reborn here too? What the heck is going on?" Her hands played with the ends of her tails as a frown formed. "I'm so confused."

Ace wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "You need to heal. Whatever is stopping you from doing so, you have to let it go." He lightly flicked her forehead to her surprise. "Don't forget all the people who care about you."

Blue eyes looked up at him, tired eyes. "I don't know what is holding me back though." Luffy wrapped an arm around her other shoulder with a grin.

Suddenly the sky erupted into a glow as stars appeared in bulk. The clear night accentuated them, making it seem so much closer.

Sniffles came from the woman between them, their eyes wide with concern. Tears streamed down her face, blue eyes locked on the sky of stars. They traced all the constellations she knew.

Jiraiya, Minato, Kushina, Neji, Third Hokage, Obito, Rin, and countless others whose lives were lost.

Turning, she stuck her hand out to the fox. "Alright Kurama. What do you say? Want to be stuck with another Uzumaki?" The tears stopped and her grin was wide.

The fox laughed and placed a finger into her outstretched hand. "You're a lot like your brother." The brothers disappeared from the area, leaving the two alone.

"I don't exactly know what I'm doing. Naruto was always better at the jinchuuriki thing."

"We'll figure it out. Time for you to heal."