18. RICH HEART OF STONE

Start from the beginning

"This afternoon? Oh, then! it was the first time we had talked. she saw me crying so tried to help me. How does that mean that I am the culprit?" she said in that oddly high-pitched voice of her.

"Well, since you're denying then Miss Morozova might need to acquire some new proof of your innocence," he said looking at me in pity.

Why do I even need to prove anything? I am innocent!

I felt heart, fury raising at the injustice. Is this how mama felt? Did she ever get tired of explaining her purity to the world? That she really was married to the man who had fathered her child before leaving? 

"Wait. Why was she pulling the curtain anyway? It was Nazma's job. Unless she gave it to Isolde," Esme's voice snapped my attention back to her.

"Another character introduced to this thrilling drama!" Master Orion's voice rang with excitement. 

"Sir, will you please refrain from showing excitement in this situation?" Dayuu gritted out.

"Oh sorry. So this girl, Nazma was supposed to pull the curtain but she gave it to Miss Morgan who then gave it to Miss Morozova," Orion summarized the situation.

"Wait, Miss Morgan? As in Miya Morgan? What was she doing there? She said she was sick in her room!" Esme's said in puzzlement.

"She was?", Dayuu asked Esme.

"Yes, Dayuu. She's Nazma's roommate actually. Maybe they planned this? Miya's brother works in the stables, you know," Esme said with a scrunched nose.

"Now why would Nazma or Miya do this? They don't hate Eboni unlike you!" Naeem said again, his voice laced with anger.

"You really think I am only me who hates this wench for trying to take my position? There are dozens who coveted that position. They couldn't even open an election yet you come here and all of a sudden and everything goes your way. Of course, there are people who hate her guts!" Esme spat her words laced with fury.

The room goes dead silent at her outburst.

"Miss Esme, You're not really helping your case. Please keep your hateful thoughts to yourself", Dayuu said with a tired voice.

"So what do you want me to do? I hate her. Of course, I'll say that out loud. I can't fake what I feel. You, nobles are all the same. Entitled brats", Esme's reply was quick with her head held high.

"So what about the things you two said yesterday?" Akira asked, finally breaking that mute spell he was under.

"What did we say yesterday?", I asked before Esme. 

"That we fight dirty and unfair," Akira said and a barely audible voice added, "That you hate us."

"Of course we hate you, spoiled brats. And it is true, you guys fight dirty," Esme scoffed at them.

"Miss Garcia, not helping," Dayuu warned again.

"We don't fight dirty. And unfair. Why would you say that?" Naeem asked again in a defensive tone.

"Oh please, everyone knows the new elections were allowed only to impress Eboni's mother who will be coming here as a guest teacher next week," Esme replied, the bite in her voice made Naeem flinch.

"No, they didn't," Eboni spoke up for the first time since we came here. Her voice was full of disbelief.

"Yes, they did, why else do you think they would force us to host an election in the beginning of the year. Don't pretend to be naïve. Dorm representative elections are always held before spring break. So that we get the whole year to get to know the person we would be voting for," Esme replied while rolling her eyes at Eboni.