KANDI'S WORLD, ATL (ACT III)

Start from the beginning

She'd brought her rousing speech to an end with ruckus applause.

Men in suits stood at the side of the stage, almost envious, that Michael Jackson had managed to marry not only a beautiful woman, but an articulate, and smart woman.

Envy.
Again.

From almost all of the eyes in the room.

Afia the star.

The perfect compliment to the king of pop.

She'd aligned herself well with Michael's mission.

Her music, her dancing, her acting, all spoke for itself.

Michael had stared at Afia intently, moved by her speech, and the passion in her voice.

He'd clapped hard, louder than every body else, as she turned back toward him, and embraced him.

From the outside looking in?
They seemed happy.

Maybe a little quiet, but happy.

Even when they'd been pushed in their cars, and hurried across the City to Georgia State Capitol, Afia had been silent.

Bill Bray, made small talk with Wayne, their other faithful security guard, and Michael joined in where necessary.

Kandi, had opted to stay in the car during the engagements, still beautifully dressed, in black jeans, and an elaborately lacey black top.

In the car, Michael had turned to his wife, speaking lowly, as she sat beside him.

"I can't wait to have dinner with you tonight.." He mumbled, again, receiving no response.

Even Karen, had noticed the lack of conversation.

Michael and Afia were always talking.

Teasing each other, or discussing something.
Musing about their day, hand in hand.

But today? Nothing.

Michael tried again, after they'd met with Senators at the Capitol to discuss Child Services in the City, and what would be done about the lack of funding for important charities, like the one they were having their star-studded fund raiser for.

He tried, as everyone slumped tiredly in their seats, to say something else.

"We can talk tonight. I brought the chart.." He whispered softly, "Affie, please.." He brought his voice lower, but Afia turned toward the window once more.

Nothing he could do or say, would fix her ache.
A debilitating ache.

It felt worse than hunger, or physical pain.

It was slow, and grinding.

The type of ache that caused her heart rate to increase.

Anxiously feeling that something was wrong.

Dread, perhaps.