a traitor in our midst

Jim's eyes widened at the being in front of him who was smiling sinisterly at the Captain and his mates. "So glad you could join us at last," the man continued, waving a feathered hand to one of the guards behind them. The boy heard the door close as the tiger grasping his shoulder let go and rounded to the other side of the desk.

"Who are you?" Jim mustered, feeling a twinge of pain on his mouth from a now noticeable gash in his lip. 

The Captain's scarlet eyes turned to him as a smile raised his beak. "You're in no position to be asking questions officer, but I'll oblige you," he spoke, standing from his seat. "I'm Julian Fyneux, Captain of the Aeonian. I've sailed the Etherium for longer than you've been alive and you'll find I'm well versed in the ways of this frontier and all its inhabitants," he answered, rounding the desk to stand in front of his prisoners. Jim could see the long train that followed the man and quickly realized his peacock ancestry at the radiant colors in his feathers.

"Mr. Sawyer, I assume you've found it?" Fyneux questioned, wings tucked behind him as he looked the direction of the tiger guard. 

"Aye, Capn'. Smith located it in the Captain's quarters," he answered swiftly. "Perfect," the peacock breathed. "Bring it to me."

Jim's head turned as a felinoid strode past him, holding a small wooden box in his claws. He presented it to Fyneux, lifting its lid as the contents within it glowed, illuminating the man's beak. His mouth turned upward into a smile as he reached inside it and withdrew a small item. As soon as his feathers touched it, the glowing ceased and it lost whatever light it had.

As the peacock turned it in his hand, Jim caught a glimpse of its ornate design and quickly recognized it as the mysterious gem he had locked in his office. He must have been making a strange expression because Fyneux's eyes suddenly turned to him and his smile widened.

"Curious little thing, isn't it? Not that you ever knew what it was," he spoke smoothly, holding it up for the boy to see. "Absolutely beautiful..." he breathed reverently, attention lost in it for a moment before he looked back at Jim.

"Little did you know of the treasure you stumbled upon, Captain Hawkins," he murmured. "And, I wonder..." he continued, taking a step near to the boy. Jim sat stiffly, not allowing himself to give into the reflex to lean away from the man. He watched in confusion as Fyneux set the gem on the ground near his knees. After a moment's hesitation, the solar-crystal began to glow again. The peacock nudged it closer to the boy, watching as it became brighter.

"Hmm. Well, that's that, then," Fyneux spoke, taking the item from the ground where its light dissipated upon its touch.

"What was that for?" Jim heard Silver question from behind him.

"Well, Mr. Silver, that was a simple test as to whether or not this key has claimed a new bearer," the peacock answered, returning the item to an ornate box on his desk, red eyes peering back at the ursid.

"Key?" Jim asked in confusion, feeling his head starting to pound as the present pain worsened. 

"Why, yes, Captain Hawkins," Fyneux smiled. "This is the key to the ultimate treasure of the universe; something far greater than Flint's booby-trapped-trove. It's been in existence since the beginning of time, clumsily falling into the hands of fools and and thieves, but never has it been used for its true purpose."

The peacock strode to the side of his desk, looking upwards to the ceiling where Jim suddenly noticed painted constellations and ethereal images, some of which he recognized as classical Voyages maps. "And rarely has it ever locked onto a bearer," he continued, eyes turning down to the boy. "And Captain..." he said, suddenly leaning down to Jim's level. "It's chosen you. Congratulations."