12|| Rainbow Feathers - Father's Day Special

Start from the beginning

"I'm making arrows, there's been a large order from another town. Do you want to watch?" My eyes widen and I nod enthusiastically. I feel like I'm being let into a very special secret. I pay close attention to Dad. 

I listen to Dad explain how he attached the arrowheads to the shaft and how the feathers stick. His voice is kind and gentle like the hum of his guitar back home. I watch his big calloused hands that were twice the size of my own work delicately as if he were touching a butterfly's wing. My eyes are continually drawn to the box of white feathers. I keep thinking how pretty they would be if they were rainbow-coloured. 

"Dad?"
"Yes, darling?"
"Do you have rainbow feathers?" I ask nervously. Dad hums and touches a finger to his chin. After a moment his face lights up making me giggle. 

"I have a very special box full of rainbow feathers just for you, my darling," he says and I stand up taller on my stool. 
"Really?!" I exclaim and Dad laughs and sits me down again. He gets up and goes to a tall cupboard. On top of the cupboard is a small wooden box. He reaches up and grabs it with ease and sighs as he sets it down on the table and opens it. My eyes widen at the array of colours in the box. Dad smiles sweetly. I reach over and carefully touch a soft feather. 

They were from parrots we had seen in the forest. Dad would never use them for arrows but they were perfect for something else. 

"Dad, can you braid a feather into my hair? Like a warrior princess!" I ask excitedly and Dad chuckles again. 
"Of course my darling," he says. He picks up a small scrap of iron and cuts it with big clips into a little thick square. He also grabs some leather from a drawer in the workbench and retrieves a long length of leather string. I watch in wonder as he attaches the string to the feather and then walks over to me. 

"Hold still darling, this won't hurt," he says and I shut my eyes in anticipation. Dad pinches a small amount of hair from my head and clamps the string onto it using the small bit of iron and some pliers. I didn't even feel it. I open my eyes wide with excitement and touch the feather. 

Dad hums a tune as he plaits the string into my hair. When he's done, an intricate braid hangs down the side of my head with a feather poking out the bottom. I touch it and gasp with excitement. 

"Thank you so much, Dad!" I yell and leap into his arms for a giant hug. He chuckles and hugs me tightly. No man was better than my Dad, and I love him to pieces. 

"How about we go home and show Mum? She'll be off work by now," Dad says and I nod into his shoulder. 

Dad puts out the furnace that he would return to tomorrow and I get my basket of flowers from the workbench. My feather is green and yellow and matches my yellow ribbon that shimmers in the afternoon sun. We leave the shop and walk down the cobblestone streets. 

The basket swings a little bit on my arm and the smile won't leave my face. I didn't care what the other girls thought, I looked pretty with my feather in my hair. I hold Dad's big warm hand with my free one. Everything feels perfect. 

~~~~ Technoblade's P.O.V ~~~~ Age 14 ~~~~

I press my hands against my temples trying to block out the noise. The voices are pounding today, they have been all week. I've tried to hide it, but getting through dinner with Tommy's yelling was already hard enough before. 

I lean my head against my bed and slide a little on the floor. I just want them to go away. I push back tears that threaten to spill and squeeze my eyes shut. They all are calling for blood, for violence. I wanted neither but maybe if I gave them what they wanted they would shut up. 

Suddenly, my bedroom door opens. 
"Hey Techno-" Phil stops short when he sees me on the floor beside my bed. He quickly enters and shuts the door behind him quietly. Phil puts a hand on my shoulder and stares into my wide eyes.