Chapter 13

Note: I'm back from my hiatus! Just a reminder that this and my other two stories "Companions of the Old Tales" and "The Do'Urden brothers" will be updated at a slower pace than they had been previously because I am working hard at my original novel series, but I should be able to update at least one fic every week.

Also Note: I am contemplating a fourth fic. Not sure what it will be about yet although I am leaning towards a 'marooned on a deserted island/planet/whatever' trope. I know I want the fic to have Drizzt, Legolas, Dinin, Fili, Kili, and perhaps Berg'inyon and even Entreri in it. I have been reading the Sellsword trilogy, just started the second book and I am really itching to include Entreri somewhere. So yeah, I'm not sure about the plot or setting just yet but something is definitely brewing. Let me know what sorts of stories you might like to see with the mentioned characters. I definitely think it will be another Drizzt/Ellifain Tuuserail pairing like "fathers and sons" but we shall see.

-----

Zaknafein was in awe as he and Drizzt entered the impressive fortress that was Caras Galadhon. They'd entered Lothlorien following Haldir who led the weary travelers through his realm.

Lothlorien has a different feel than Mirkwood. As Zaknafien walked close to Drizzt, following the carriage which bore Thranduil, he inhaled deeply, soaking up the atmosphere around him. Legolas walked with Haldir a few paces ahead, eager to get the much needed care for his father.

In Lothlorien, gone was the stench of decay, the humid suffocating air, and the permanent ominousness that Mirkwood gave off. Instead, the air was light and filled with the scent of oak and birch and maple. Songbirds bearing colorful plumage fluttered about the leaves and their song was alluring to say the least.

But the majestic city that was Caras Galadhon was simply breathtaking. Its massive circular walls were made of earth, a deep fosse filled with rushing water circled the impressive city as they crossed a stone bridge. The city sprawled out before them and all around them, elves moved about in high trees, across the mossy grass, or along the stoney paths that crisscrossed between the trees.

"I take back my complaints about the surface, my son," Zaknafein commented quietly to Drizzt as they were led to the center platform, climbing up winding stairs. As they did, they caught the first glimpse of Lady Galadriel. She stood atop her central platform. She was certainly the most beautiful golden haired elf that the drow had ever laid eyes upon. Not that he had encountered many elves.

"Lady Galadriel," Haldir greeted as the carriage carrying Thranduil stopped at the base of the thick mallorn tree that made up the central area. "I bring you Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood."

Legolas glanced back at the carriage as his soldiers began to carefully lift the unconscious king from his carriage and carry him forth. Then, he whirled back around to face Galadriel, bowing his head respectfully, as the elf seemed to command respect.

"Lady Galadriel," Legolas greeted. "My party and I are in your debt for any aid you can provide to the king."

"I apologize for the long perilous journey you were forced to make to reach me," Galadriel spoke as she elegantly descended the stairs to stand before Legolas. As she did, Zaknafein noticed another male elf coming forth from higher up the tree palace. "May I present Celeborn, Lord of Lothlorien."

Legolas bowed respectfully to Celeborn as the older elf regarded him, before his gaze settled upon the two drow who stood, awkwardly, off to the side.

"Lavender eyes," Celeborn murmured as he exchanged concerned glances with Galadriel before narrowing his gaze on Drizzt in particular. Zaknafien pursed his lips, muscles tensing as he resisted the protective instincts he felt as the elf scrutinized his son.