The Unicorn

Request: -

Characters: Sonic, Silver, Shadow, Tails, Espio, Knuckles

Ship: Sonilver (in the background)

Summary:
With the firm belief that unicorns exist, Sonic drags his friends into the forest to look for the magical creatures.

============================

"...Sorry but...you want to do what?"

"Let's look for a unicorn!" Sonic repeated his statement with the broadest smile he could offer. With a graceful movement the blue hedgehog whirled around, his gaze now sweeping to the forest that was right next to the secret spot of him and his friends.

"And I already know exactly where to start!" He exclaimed enthusiastically and pointed to the many trees within reach.

The first three weeks of summer vacation had passed already and Sonic was slowly starting to get miserably bored.

Although he and his friends met every day to hang out and try pass the time somehow, there was a certain monotony gnawing at the blue hedgehog. He wasn't going on vacation with his family until next week and until then he was forced to stay in Emerald Town and hang out with his friends.

Actually, that wouldn't be that big of a problem at all if the guys didn't gradually run out of ideas. For four days they had just sat in their self-built shed at the edge of the forest and tried to somehow pass the time and even that was slowly becoming annoying to everyone.

But even because of the terrible boredom, looking for a unicorn seemed questionable.

"Sonic...unicorns don't exist." Shadow tried to make clear to the younger, but the blue hedgehog wasn't listening and just crossed his arms stubbornly.

"They exist, you'll see!" He protested with a grin. "And then we'll see who is wrong here!"

A concert of sighs filled the air, because the rest of the boys knew that they couldn't dissuade Sonic from his plan. But why, for the Chaos sake, did he want to look for a unicorn of all places?

It would take the monotony out of their summer vacation, but if Shadow wanted to be honest, he'd rather go to the movies than waste his time looking for some horned horse they'd never find anyway.

"I won't go look for a unicorn with you. Get that stupid idea out of your head!" Growled the striped hedgehog and hurled a pebble at the youngers head, whereupon he whirled around and gave an annoyed snort.

"Why do you want to look for a unicorn?" Tails wanted to know. He had already noticed that his brother had developed a certain interest in the mystical creatures and even if he could think of a reason for his behavior, he preferred the answer from the blue hedgehog personally.

"Well...well ... you know..." Sonic plopped down on the closest rock. "I just think they're neat!" He gave as an explaination, while restlessly sliding his right foot through the dirt.

"Oh, is that so? It has nothing to do with Espio, who you mistakenly called a unicorn once?" Shadow asked further, with a stupid grin on his face that could not be more rare.

Next to him he heard someone breathe out angrily and he had to snort. The chameleon in question had narrowed his eyes and was staring grimly when the subject "Espio is a unicorn" was brought up again. He had despised it from the very start and had been really happy when it was finally put on hold ... and now they had to bring it back to life.

Sonic in particular never knew when he should keep his mouth shut, and so last autumn he threw the nickname "unicorn" at Espio's head until it got too much for the younger and he ignored the hedgehog until he did let be. It had worked out so well ...