CHPT. 26 A moth to the flame

炎への蛾

炎への蛾

.

Fire is a destructive and dangerous element. If you dare to touch the flame, you will burn asunder. Ashes leave upon your wake, but what else can the fire do?

The flame can destroy. It can burn your life away until not even your ashes remain.

But fire can give you warmth. It can give you the feeling of safety and comfort within the cold and cruel world. It was―balanced.

Just as how a phoenix dies by its flames, it is reborn from its own ashes. But he is different.

He is no phoenix.

There is no need to be reborn, if you have not died in the first place. He was incapable of dying, true and perpetual immortality that kept him from reuniting with those he had lost. And thus he walks the earth for eternity, agonizing and painful as death dared not to greet him.

All Aether knew of Alastor was that he was a demon that made a contract regarding Monstadt. The demon witnessed the archon war, fought in it maybe, and had resented Liyue and Rex Lapis for a reason.

Mysteries still surounded him, but who could he blame? Aether and Alastor were an enigma to others and themselves.

"Dear me~ Why are you crying?"

Paimon was frozen on the spot, floating in the air as she stared at a familiar face. A month if seperation, yet he had grown. His appearance slightly different, but everything else felt exactly the same.

The same eyes, the same hair, and the same smirk. Her wish had come true.

"Ah... ALASTOR!"

Paimon rushed into his embrace, tears leaking out of her blue eyes as she cried out his name over and over again. His hand caressed the back of her head, whispering sweet nothings as he assured her he was real.

Aether continued to stare, not noticing the tears streaming down his face as he stared at the two. He believed his friend had died, yet here he was.

Standing before them with the same expression had when they first met.

A sense of deja vu fell upon him, as Alaator gestured for him to come closer. It was a simple one, but it had tears streaming down his cheeks. 

"Come now dear traveler. Won't you give this demon a hug?"

He smiled softly, offering his embrace to the outlander. Aether did not take a second to waste, falling into Alastor's arms as he weeped into his chest.