Chapter 13

I was taken to the hospital with Mom and everyone else had to go home. Mom forgot her phone and mine is cracked. I can still text though.

They kept me overnight and wouldn't let me go until four the next day.

I have four bruised ribs and one cracked one, I have whiplash, and I dislocated my shoulder. They have to put it back in place and I almost screamed because it hurt. They said I can't do gymnastics until the end of the summer. Maybe forever.

I'm not happy about it.

I made national news because I got away with hardly a scratch. If I didn't have my seatbelt on, I'd be severely injured, or worse.

An since it's so late, we'll never make it to prom in time.

Plus I have no car.

We get to the house. I get out and slam the door. Mom follows me up the steps. Everyone stands up when we walk in, but I walk right past them, right up to my room, and slam the door.

I hear whispers downstairs as Mom explains the results.

Five minutes later, I hear a soft knock on my door. I hear it creak open, and then a quiet sigh. The door clicks shut, and then my bed sinks down and the person lays down next to me.

It's Braxton I know it is for two reasons.

One, because he's laying right next to me, and two, I smell his old spice deodorant, and Ethan wears axe.

"I'm sorry." He whispers.

I lean my head against his shoulder.

"I just hope that guy gets arrested." I whisper.

"He already did." He says.

"ERIN OUR LETTERS FROM NYU ARE HERE!" Ethan screams.

Months before we left Vermont, me, Ethan, Bri, and Braxton all applied to NYU. Bri and Braxton already got their letters, but they didn't open them.

Both of us jump up and run downstairs.

Bri and Braxton get their letters from their bags.

Mom starts the video camera.

Slowly, the four of us open our letters.

April 26th, 2015

Miss Erin L. Carter

Dear Miss Erin Carter

I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to the Business Program in Music for the fall semester of 2015. It is very important for you to take your time and read the enclosed material, which may list any restrictions on your admission. The information will also help facilitate your enrollment at The Graduate Center.

You need to indicate whether you accept this offer of admission by June 16, 2015. You may contact us by E-mail at: Admissions@ge.cuny.edu. It is important-

"You don't need to read everything!" Ethan yells, shaking my shoulders, making me wince. "Did you get accepted or not?"

"Did you?" I ask.

"Yes!" he looks at Bri.

"Me too!" she grins.

I look at Braxton. He sighs and leans against the wall.

No. He didn't get accepted.

"Just kidding!" he grins.

Everyone looks at me.

"Well?" Ethan asks, his smile slowly fading.

"I-I-got accepted!"

Everyone starts cheering.

"Thursday morning we leave for New York. Graduation is Wednesday."